Oil recommendation for 5mi commutes to/from work

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAP

I just recently bought a Pontiac G8 (6.2 V8) and am getting ready for my first oil change. I mostly drive to/from work each day and the engine barely has enough time to reach operating temperature before I'm there. I don't drive my cars too hard with only an occasional stomp on the gas pedal to get around a slower car. Winters can be pretty rough here in NE Ohio so I'm taking that into account as well. I was thinking a thinner 5w30 like Castrol Edge may be a good choice considering my short commute and how I drive. Any other recommendations?

I did read up on the Amsoil 0w-30 and it seems to be a very good oil for my application. The only problem is Amsoil could get pretty expensive as this car has a 8.5+ qt sump. When I read at the G8 forums that guys were "topping" it off at 8.5 qts of oil, I almost spit out my brew all over my monitor. I never had a car that needed more than 4.5 quarts before.

I have the same commute as you going to and from my college campus. Granted, my engine is an aluminum 4-cylinder with a 4-quart sump that warms up quicker than a typical V8 with a large sump like that. I typically use conventional 5W-30 during the summer and synthetic 5W-30 during the winter. Personally, I'd go for Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a Purolator PureONE, Fram Extended Guard or Napa Gold/Wix oil filter. Good luck!

I use Max Life syn blend now. My commute is short like yours. When I would use synthetic in the winter I would get this white greasy mess under the cap where I put the oil in the truck. As every one says to use synthetic in the winter I did not have good luck with synthetic it would take a longer time to warm up and I would get that mess under the cap.

Hey neighbor. Youngstown native here. Good question. I didn't realize there was one but did a little bit of reading. Apparently I have to hold in a button on the steering wheel then turn the key to the on position. Will try that When I get home from work.

I just bought (2) 5qt containers of PP from Walmart for my other car. I was thinking PP would be a good choice as it's a relatively thinner oil. Not quite as thin as Edge, but close. PP seems to get alot of love around here.

Tap,

I'm the happy owner of a '09 G8-GT so I know a thing or two about that beast. It's the left button on the steering wheel you hold down when you turn on the ignition. It puts the car in "engineering mode" and it allows you to see all sorts of extra info on the display screen, such as oil life %, throttle position, battery voltage, trans temp, etc. You can start and run/drive the car in that mode as well. It will return to normal the next time you remove the key from the ignition.

Why there's no other easy way to see the OLM % without doing that, I'm really not sure.

Ed B.

My wife's commute is 8.5 miles in a newer 4 cylinder vehcile and I am going with 3 month oil changes with a quality conventional like Pennzoil, Clean 5000, etc. In winter, since it can and does get down to -10 to 20F, I will continue to run Amsoil 0w-30 during that time.

Quote:
Oil recommendation for 5mi commutes to/from work

One that will allow you to follow the OLM without anxiety.

Tap,lots of good oils to choose from.

I use PP 5-30 and Pure One filters in all my cars and all have an OCI of 3-4k.

I know that todays full syn oils are much better than they were 5-10 yrs ago,but I also know that todays engines are harder on oil too.Many of mine are modified,turbo or just small engines that work hard to produce HP( S2000 with redline of 9k!).

Oil is cheap.....engines are not.
\rv85

Last edited:
I agree with mechtech2... use regular (thin) oil and change it more frequently. I don't see the point in using synthetic.

Thanks all for your responses. I was under the impression that synthetics flowed better than dino when less than 100 C. Wouldn't that make them better suited for short commutes and cold winters?

Yes Castrol Edge is about the lightest 30 wt you can use so it's a good choice.

But the truth is, the way you use your car and climate, a syn 0W-20 would be heavier than you need, warranty requirements notwithstanding. If you can pull up your sump oil temps from your on board computer, that may become self-evident.

Originally Posted By: TAP
I just recently bought a Pontiac G8 (6.2 V8) and am getting ready for my first oil change. I mostly drive to/from work each day and the engine barely has enough time to reach operating temperature before I'm there. I don't drive my cars too hard with only an occasional stomp on the gas pedal to get around a slower car. Winters can be pretty rough here in NE Ohio so I'm taking that into account as well. I was thinking a thinner 5w30 like Castrol Edge may be a good choice considering my short commute and how I drive. Any other recommendations?

TAP,

I'm pretty much a GM fan now a days so why don't you just stick to the tried n' true Mobil 1???? I use M1 "extended" in my 01 Durango V-8 now and it appears to be fantastic for the short drives you do. I have the same condition in my two rides and only on the weekends I take it for a good spin just to get the oil nice and hot to circulate through out the entire engine. That way it should have a less chance of any possible sludging issues with the motors BUT admit I haven't heard a engine sludging issues from synthetics. In addition I have a new 08' Impala "SS" and want to switch to a synthetic after it's first OCI/3K miles. That GM dealership uses Chevron brand dino and synthetic oil for their standard. I can't say why they don't use M1.

Choose what ever brand of synthetic you like as all the extended type of oil will take you for the long hall for sure. The packages are much more robust.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back