Oil recommendation for 2008 Grand Caravan 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a used 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan with the 3.3 liter V6. It was previously used in a rental fleet (Enterprise, I think). It has 38,000 miles on the odometer. Typical usage will be short trips back and forth to work (under 5 miles each way) with the occasional weekend trip of no more than 30-40 miles. I probably will not put more than 5,000 miles per year on it but plan to keep it at least 5 to 6 years when usage will increase. (I have newborn twin boys.) 5w-20 is Dodge's recommended weight.

Is there a specific oil that works best for the type of driving this van will see? Cost is not a concern.

Also, does anyone know what sort of maintenance schedule Enterprise Car Rental follows with their vehicles?

Enterprise is known for not taking good care of their vehicles.

I would start with a few short intervals of any SM Dino oil. Then I would stick with dino and go for 5,000 miles or 6 month (whatever comes first) intervals.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Enterprise is known for not taking good care of their vehicles.

I would start with a few short intervals of any SM Dino oil. Then I would stick with dino and go for 5,000 miles or 6 month (whatever comes first) intervals.

I was going to mention that,but I really have nothing to back that up except here-say.

Dont get me wrong. My Grandmother had a car she bought from Enterprise and it lasted about a decade. But I have heard stories from my parents, and others on this board, who rent cars from Enterprise and are shocked at what they got.

Who knows? Maybe you got a good one. But even still I think a few short intervals would be a good thing.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
Dont get me wrong. My Grandmother had a car she bought from Enterprise and it lasted about a decade. But I have heard stories from my parents, and others on this board, who rent cars from Enterprise and are shocked at what they got.

Who knows? Maybe you got a good one. But even still I think a few short intervals would be a good thing.

There is a Enterprise near where I live and have used them several times..They change the oil in their cars every 5K miles.

Overall the cars are in excellent condition.

Is there a powertrain warranty?
If yes, don't give them any opportunity to deny claims.
My experience with that 3.3 is 5-20 and 4k to 5k max. That is city driving.

those short trips are murder on an engine - especially in the winter. I would change it @ 3k or every 6 months. and run 5W-20. you could run 5W-30 in hot weather if you want. any good dino is fine with that engine. if you wanna spend the bux for syth or catch the recent good rebates that get you M1 for $12 a 5 qt gallon. That being said, the 3.3L is one of the more durable engines from DC. I have seen countless minivans and my borther's intrepid log 200k miles without engine problems. numerous other DC engines are famous for sludging (the 2.7***, 3.9, 5.2, 5.9, 4.7) but as far as I know the 3.3 remains bulletproof

BTW, its time to change the coolant in your Colorado, if you have not done so already. Dex-cool has a history of eating gaskets as it ages.

yes, the 3.3 is a good engine... one of their best. That and the 3.5.

I'd just run the spec'd 5w20 and change early a few times like you said, and if all's well, just go the rest of its life following that regiment too.

Thanks everyone! I'll stick with the recommended 5w-20 and change with Syntec every 4 months. I change the oil myself so the difference between dino oil and synthetic is about $10 per oil change. If it's overkill I can live with spending the extra $30 per year.

tomcat27-you're absolutely right. My father just spent way too much to repair his Impala because of the Dex-cool. My Colorado is 5+ years old and only has 32,000 miles on it. I'm planning on changing the trans, brake, engine, steering, coolant and differential fluids and putting in a new fuel filter too.

So, my Grand Caravan now has 85k miles. That's about 4,700 miles per year since I bought it. I've only been using dino oil every 6 months or so. So far, so good.

Also, my 2004 Colorado has about 65k miles.

Originally Posted by inline5
So, my Grand Caravan now has 85k miles. That's about 4,700 miles per year since I bought it. I've only been using dino oil every 6 months or so. So far, so good.

Also, my 2004 Colorado has about 65k miles.

Once a year is plenty-good. Oil lasts years inside your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back