Oil recommendation for 2008 BMW M3 V8 S65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Did a bunch of searching but no very recent information out there. I just picked up a 2008 M3 with 68k km (42k miles) on it. The previous owner did a recent UOA which I've attached for your review.

That being said, my driving habits are not ideal. I have a relatively short commute of a few miles and will rarely put more than 3-4k miles on a car in a year. I try and get out once a week for a good drive.

With that type of mileage, but with my usage in mind, should I change my oil annually or twice a year?

Should I stick with the Castrol 10w-60, or consider M1 0w-40 / GC 0w-40?

Thanks

With the M engines the oil viscosity question is answered by the vehicles use. If the vehicle sees majority track use and spirited street driving, definitely stick to 10W60. If the vehicle is used as a daily driver and occasionally sees spirited driving, reduce the weight down to a 5W40. We do so to alleviate most vehicles with UOAs that exhibit elevated iron levels. It's the same reason why two oil weights are usually listed for super cars. Street use vs track use.

That oil analysis looks fine, especially at that mileage. Lead is realtively low for these.

Stick to the 10W-60 and make sure its warm before you give it any.

Last edited:
Use M1 0w40 for sure especially since you're in Alberta. With such short trips, the oil will never reach operating temp so actual viscosity will already be thicker than a 10w60 @ operating temp.

Check the oil cap & dipstick every month or so, if no signs of water contamination then 1yr oil change is fine.

I would go with Castrol 0W40. You can find it cheap at CTC when it goes on sale. Was recently on sale for $26/5L, although, my uncle cleaned out most of Edmonton for our Chump car. :lol:

Liqui Moly GT1 10W60 is what many guys run in their M engines calling for 10W60. Great results with it, less expensive than the dealer Castrol stuff.

Originally Posted By: The_Hamster
Liqui Moly GT1 10W60 is what many guys run in their M engines calling for 10W60. Great results with it, less expensive than the dealer Castrol stuff.

This is also great oil. PAO basestock.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46

Well, it used to be. Doesn't appear so any longer.

How do you know this?

Well, it used to be. Doesn't appear so any longer.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
How do you know this?

I was looking at it last year for my drift car, and the SDS showed that it was primarily comprised of PAO (1-decene, trimers, hydrogenated). This was confirmed via emails with Liqui-Moly (for example, take a look at Synthoil Energy 0W-40). I checked their website today and notice their is a new SDS available, and it no longer lists that it is comprised of PAO, however, it is still possible they are using a derivative of PAO that is not hazardous and therefore not on an SDS. I'm sure they would tell you via email.

If you want to stick with 10w60, Napa has Liqui-Moly 10w60. Otherwise, either the M1 or Castrol 0w40's will probably work fine for you
smile.gif

The M1 0W-40 doesn't meet BMW LL-01 anymore in the US.

Maybe its different up north.

I'd stay with the Castrol 10W-60 unless you see some operating issues in the winter.

Then, sliding back to Castrol 0W-40 would be a good solution.

Castrol TWS 10w60 seems to be an uber wonder oil with amazing specs. I wouldn't use anything other than perhaps Redline if it were me.

Originally Posted By: FlyPenFly
Castrol TWS 10w60 seems to be an uber wonder oil with amazing specs.

For specifications it carries API SN/CF and ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4. Which one(s) do you consider amazing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back