Oil Recommendation for 2002 Kia Sportage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2002 Kia Sportage 2.0L DOHC. With 83k. Just bought the car a few days ago. I want to try a good cheap oil.. I was thinking about using Supertech 5w30 or Havoline 5w30. I usually use Castrol, but I want to budget the oil change. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Hang here and numerous great deals will be posted in the Promotions/Rebate area. With rebates and sales good deals can be had by all.

Any currently spec'ed oil, changed regularly, is all you need.

My wife has a '00 Sportage that we bought used in '01. Since weve had it I have used Mobil 1 10/30 EP oil, and a Purolater pure 1 filter in it. It has never used any oil between changes which average 1 per year at around 8500 miles.A few months ago we had the valve cover replaced, and I looked at the rockers and it was amazing.No varnish or build-up of any kind. The cams looked as if they were installed last week.No signs of wear at all on the lobes.If your looking for a deal look at it this way. If you buy 4, 5 qt containers your 5th change is free. I would recommend the EP oil for this application.,,

If you just bought it, I'd go for an inital change of supertech 5W-30, with a pint (half quart) of MMO in the oil....BTW, have you checked the oil cap and/or manual?

According to Amsoil garage, this vehicle specs 5W-40.....but optionally, you could reference the temperature guide
smile.gif

-13 To 84 F......10W-30
16 To 68 F......20W-20
32 To 102 F......30
Above -13 F......10W-40, 10W-50
Above 16 F......20W-40, 20W-50
Above 84 F......40
Below -4 F......5W-20
Below 32 F......5W-30

The guide at http://www.kia.ca/content/Owners/OwnersManual/2002_Sportage_Owners_Manual_EN.pdf (note: Canadian Kia site..) shows 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50, and 5W-30 being all acceptable fluids.

So it likely could be simply differentiated since they can't take into consideration how people will be using the vehicle. If you are towing, I'd go with a higher viscosity oil.

On a side note, I'm surprised the vehicle specs Dexron
smile.gif
Not the "Diamond SPII" stuff that mine specd :p

Run your favorite dino oil and substitute 1/2 Qt to 1 Qt with MMO.
Run that for like 1500 miles, then change to just plain dino oil. Run a fuel injector cleaner like Regane or Techron.

Originally Posted By: cjohns79ut
What would be the benefit of using MMO? What dino oil does everyone recommend?

Everyone would have their preference. The general rule (to be safe and sound) is any API SM/SN major brand oil.

I don't quite understand your statement that you would not switch over to a "syn".
Why not? It is perfectly fine to switch over (even back and forth).
MMO can help to gently clean the engine when used as directed and it might be a good idea to use it since you don't know how well the vehicle has been taken care of lube wise. The internals could be dirty.
Supertech is fine to use also.

I run M1 5w20 in my other car and love it. I'm just afraid the Sportage will start using oil if I switch over to fully synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back