Oil Recommendation for 1982 Toyota Starlet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year All

Firstly what a great site with a wealth of knowledge, and with this knowledge I am hoping I may get some thoughts on what oil to use on my new engine.

The car is an 1982 Toyota Starlet with a freshly rebuilt fast road Toyota 4k engine. I believe he engine is a 80/81. The engine has had a fresh rebuild with oversized pistons, 290 cam, fully balanced, racing head, twin webers etc etc.

The owners manual states 20w50 mineral based, change 12000 miles or annually, but searching around the internet people have suggested 15w40 mineral or semi synthetic. That 50 would be to thick and this is normally used in older higher mileage motors??

The car is in England and stored in a brick garage

The car is used for a bit of Sunday fun. I will be looking to try and use mostly in the summer apart from the occasion show in the winter.

Will be used as a fast road car, not a track day weapon nor a daily commuter. Mostly a spirited drive on a country roads and the occasional motorway.

I have been told due to the older design engine to try and find an oil which has a good zinc level.

Any help would be much appreciated. The engine was built on millers engine building oil and will go through several hot/cold cycles on millers 10w40 running in oil.

I am looking for an oil to run the car on, happy to change yearly and would expect 700-1500miles a year tops.

Couple of pics of the engine

Last edited by a moderator:
1)
welcome2.gif

2) Nice motor
3) Are you the rapper Chingy?

Originally Posted By: Klutch9
1)
welcome2.gif

2) Nice motor
3) Are you the rapper Chingy?

Thank you, and I am afraid I am not the rapper Chingy. I inherited the nick name being half chinese
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Because of the low anticipated annual mileage, I recommend Castrol Magnetic 10W40.

Thank you, do you know the zinc content of the oil due it going into an older engine

Originally Posted By: riggaz
After a bit of searching 10w-30, xw-40, and xw-50 API SF/SG seems to be the up to date standard recommendation with 10w-40 being the recommended oil from Morris and Motul for that engine.

http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk/scripts/prodview.asp?idcat=100&idProduct=168

1200ppm (ish)

this is what I use in my tuned Austin A35

I'd be tempted to run a 10w-50 on a track day though

Hi firstly thank you for taking the time to do some research on this.

Please forgive me for my lack of knowledge but the link....that's motorcycle oil is that correct. Again sorry XW40?

Originally Posted By: 4wheeldog
I think Rotella T6 5W/40 would fit the bill, if that is available.

Thanks, I do have this available in my part of the world, being a fully synthetic would that be of a concern on the older Toyota engine.

Also is this more of a heavy duty/machinery oil?

Thanks again

Last edited:
It is a diesel engine oil, but is certificated for gasoline engine use as well. It has a very robust additive package that should serve you well with your older style motor.

The only concern about using synthetic in an older engine would be if it did not have new seals. Yours should be fine, since it has all new sealing stuff. Also, an older engine could have a lot of deposits that synthetic would tend to knock loose. But again, yours is brand new clean, which makes it a perfect candidate for use of synthetic.

Chingy, OpieOils in the UK have a wide choice of oils and if you contact them with the spec of your engine they can recommend a few choices to you

Thank you for explaining,I have got a much better understanding now. Much appreciated

Originally Posted By: Chingy
Thank you for explaining,I have got a much better understanding now. Much appreciated

I have used them before but they seem to cater for pre 70's or modern engines. I am kinda stuck in the middle
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: dino33
This would be my pick Ching man...

http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/products/hps-motor-oil/

This oil has lots of ZDDP, fully synthetic, with some good seal conditioners, and lots of other protection as well as some class 4 and 5 synthetic. Good stuff, and it comes in 20w50 just for you!

DINO33 I think you have just hit the nail on the head, they stock here in the UK and do 15w40 as well as 20w50. Great find. THANK YOU.

Has anyone used Royal Purple, spec looks perfect although is fully synthetic

After some more research Ideally I want to run VR1 15w40 due to its ZDDP content but this is only available in 10w30 or 20w50.

Question.....if I mix the two is this safe and will I get the desired 15w40???

Thanks again

Yeah it's a motorcycle oil but meets and exceeds the performance specs required by the manufacturer as it's designed for road and racing.

Xw-40 is a shorter way of typing 5w,10w,15w-40 etc

I wouldn't get too hung up with ZDDP, more does not equal better protection and too much (over about 2000ppm) can cause damage

I wouldn't mix oils either, it's unnecessary, just buy the correct grade

For sporadic use a certain amount of mineral oil is a good thing as it adheres to the engine internals really well. This has been noticed by Rotax for their microlite engines that sit for long periods unused. They found a drop in corrosion, and thus engine failures, when using a semi synthetic oil over a fully synthetic oil, food for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back