Oil Recommendation for 03 Accord 4 cyl ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a new 03 Accord and am thinking ahead to the first oil change. I don't buy new cars very often, last new car was '95 and want to make this gone go 150K+ miles.

I drive 100 miles round trip a day, hot climate in summer, and not that cold in the winter maybe 0 for short periods. I'd like to have longish interval on oil changes to boot.

So what's the recommendation from the oil experts here on the board for oil to use in my new ride?

I was skeptical at first but the new 5W-20s have been showing good UOAs...

I'd use a good synthetic such as Mobil 1 0W-20.

Jason

[ July 30, 2003, 01:10 AM: Message edited by: quadrun1 ]

I have the same car and am using Pennzoil 5w-20, based on the information provided here. I'd stick with a good brand of dino 5w-20 and 4K drain intervals, or Mobil 1 0w-20 and perhaps 6-8K drain intervals.

I would use Pennzoil PureBase dino 5w-20 for 10,000 miles to properly break-in the engine.

After that I would go with Mobil 5w-30 or Amsoil ASF 5w-30, your choice, with 6 month/7,500 drain intervals. Mobil 1 or Amsoil SDF oil filter. If using a regular filter, change at 3 months in the cycle.

If it is a V6, do not go more than 6 months on the oil. From seeing UOAs on a 1999 TL, Honda V6s have high bearing wear.

"From seeing UOAs on a 1999 TL, Honda V6s have high bearing wear."

Was that Bill99GXE's dad's? I've seen those results but the newer Hondas seems to have a lot lower bearing wear(lead) showing. Take a look in our UOA section for a couple ... and at least one was using a 5W20 oil.

I'd just use Pennzoil 5W20 and follow the extreme service interval.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

If it where my car I would use Mobil 1. In my area I would use 10w-30. Sounds like your area is like mine. I would still be skeptical of the 0w-20's and would wait for more UOA etc before using them. Many are using these new oils and time will give us lots more info than we have now.

quote:

Originally posted by Bror Jace:
[iI'd just use Pennzoil 5W20 and follow the extreme service interval.
wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Why would you use the extreme interval if he is driving 100 miles round trip per day? That sounds like a solid case for the normal interval. Usually they say 5 to 10 mile trips or less for severe. Presumably this would be 50 miles each way. I would use the standard / normal interval recommended by Honda, probably 7,500 miles.

I would rec. a break in period of 9k or so with the best dino oil in the factory rec. weight. During this break in period, I would change the dino oil AND filter, first at 500 miles, then 3 changes at 3,000 miles-total 9k- to seat the rings. After that I would go to the Mobil 1 oil and a good filter.

quote:

Originally posted by CJH:

quote:

wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Why would you use the extreme interval if he is driving 100 miles round trip per day? That sounds like a solid case for the normal interval. Usually they say 5 to 10 mile trips or less for severe. Presumably this would be 50 miles each way. I would use the standard / normal interval recommended by Honda, probably 7,500 miles.

Actually, my manual says the Normal interval is 10,000 miles. Would you feel comfortable leaving dino in that long? Severe interval is 5,000 miles. I believe it's different for the V6: 7,500 normal, 3,750 severe.

PS
Just use a good 5w20 oil like Pennzoil. The manual states 10k between changes for your type of driving but you may want to change it a 7.5k just for peace of mind. That is what I do with my 03 Accord. My last car was a 94 Accord.

Unless you line in Canada.
wink.gif

[ July 30, 2003, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

quote:

Originally posted by timzak:

quote:

quote:

wink.gif

--- Bror Jace

Actually, my manual says the Normal interval is 10,000 miles. Would you feel comfortable leaving dino in that long? Severe interval is 5,000 miles. I believe it's different for the V6: 7,500 normal, 3,750 severe.

Nope, I wouldn't leave any dino in for 10000 miles...wouldn't do it with a synthetic, without a UOA at 5000 to see what shaPE IT IS IN..AND TO develope a trendline.

Why not use Honda's 5w20. I've read here that some regard it as a well crafted oil. UOA on this site was very good also.

quote:

Why would you use the extreme interval if he is driving 100 miles round trip per day?

Because he's in California. Palmdale easily surpasses 90 degrees in the late spring through the early fall and THAT qualifies as extreme service according to the owner's manual.

quote:

Originally posted by MikeySoft:
The breakin oil for the Accord is special & has a lot of moly.

There is NO information from American Honda that this is true at all. The factory fill oil could just as well be relabled Mobil Drive Clean (as sold at dealers as "Genuine Honda Motor Oil" and the moly could just as well be from the assembly lube slathered on the camshafts, bearings, and piston skirts. One more Urban Myth that will not die... (Myths can be true. But, they can also be bovine stuff.)

This is straight out of the Accord Owners manual. You can find it at www.honda.com

1. Do not change the oil until the
recommended time or mileage
interval shown in the maintenance
schedule.

2. You should follow these same recommendations
with an overhauled
or exchanged engine, or when the
brakes are relined.

Also several UOA's of Honda factory fill have shown very high MOLY counts.

From Honda's web site:

Why should I wait to change the oil the first time?

Your Honda engine was delivered with an oil that is specially formulated for new engines that have not yet developed their "natural" wear patterns and may contain minute particles from the manufacturing process.

American Honda strongly recommends this special oil be left in the engine long enough for these wear patterns to develop, usually until the first maintenance interval specified in your Owner's Manual, based on your specific driving conditions.

This info is also in the owner's manual.

[ July 30, 2003, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: MikeySoft ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back