Oil Recommendation :2020 Subaru Legacy 2.4 turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys and gals,

Just recently bought a new 2020 Subaru Legacy with the 2.4 turbo engine in it. Looking for opinions on what oil I should use after dumping the initial fill. OCIs are 10000km with 0w20 oil. In town driving with some highway as well, the occasional spirited driving. Also lots of cold starts in the winter up here in northern Ontario Canada.

Any insight would be appreciated, as well as any recommendation for a great oil filter.

Thank you fellow bitogers!

I'm not convinced on 0w20 in a turbo motor.

but maybe I'm a dinosaur. A brand name 0w20 api sn+ would be a good place to start.

It shows 0w20 Subaru manuals are horrible. They have statements from 10 years ago and its never revised.. so it gets contradictory.

It also says higher viscosity might be needed for hot climates.

Using a syn 5w30 D1G2, API SN+, such as Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 would be my preference.

it also says 5w30 conventional is ok for top off is 0w20 is unavailable.. uh how about 5w30 syn?? also the 0w20 unavailable hasnt been the USA/North America for 10 years.

2020leg.JPG

Surprised that 0w20 is listed for that turbo charged engine. I have several good UOAs from a MAZDA turbo 2.3L CX7 using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 at 6K oci with a OEM or WIX filter. ed

If the manual allows it in your region I'd definitely move up to a 5w-30 for sure. I guess an SN+ although I've used Motul xclean efe 5w-30 which is an SN synthetic in the Fa20 engine with good results.

Originally Posted by STIcandy
If the manual allows it in your region I'd definitely move up to a 5w-30 for sure. I guess an SN+ although I've used Motul xclean efe 5w-30 which is an SN synthetic in the Fa20 engine with good results.

Same language as in all other Subaru's that spec 0W-20:

0W-20 synthetic oil is the required oil for optimum engine performance and protection. Conventional oil may be used if synthetic oil is unavailable.
*: If 0W-20 synthetic oil is not available, 5W-30 conventional oil may be used if you need to add oil. However, you should change to 0W-20 synthetic oil at the next oil change.

And on another page:

Engine oil viscosity (thickness) affects fuel economy. Oils of lower viscosity provide better fuel economy. However, in hot weather, oil of higher viscosity is required to properly lubricate the engine.

edit: D'oh! Just saw Rand's pic! Did you add more??
smile.gif

I'm an "oil thickie" in the EJ, but I'm being a guinea pig and running 0W-20 in my FA24DIT during the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie

edit: D'oh! Just saw Rand's pic! Did you add more??
smile.gif

I'm an "oil thickie" in the EJ, but I'm being a guinea pig and running 0W-20 in my FA24DIT during the 5/60 Powertrain Warranty.

I did infact revise my post to add the manual snip about 10 min later.

I wouldnt worry about 0w20 in the FA24DIT in most circumstances.. however in more extreme circumstances such as summer towing, high speed mountain driving etc.. I wonder how well the oil temp would be controlled.

If I was towing in an Arizona summer for example I wouldnt use 0w20. my fb25 would see 230f+ just in normal high speed summer driving(in Ohio)

and a turbo engine puts alot more heat into the oil quick.

just look how the Ram ecodiesel's first oil recommendation turned out in real life.

Of course VW is using their 508 spec oil in turbos...

We all know EJs, especially in WRX/STi guise, are friendly to heavier weights. NA EJs are not really as picky.

But come on, Rand, with 14,000+ posts and all you've got is opinions? Not posts of failures in the FA-DIT series from 0W20s? Did you ever think that since this was a clean-sheet engine design, just maybe they got it right? You are being a little ridiculous to compare an Italian turbodiesel V6 in a heavy truck to a Japanese flat four in a car that's half the weight. The FA20DIT has been around for several years now, and since I don't go off of opinions, but data, I did some digging. NASIOC actually has a table of whoever felt like signing up their vehicle with a list of mods, and if there was a problem with their vehicle. On this list, only 7 of over 700 samples were completely stock cars, for a failure rate of about 0.9%. And there's no telling what the root cause failure was for those. From what I can find, in America/Canada, Subaru has sold around 130,000 WRXs since 2016, and since people are much more likely to speak up about failures rather than something that works as expected, even if we use the failure rate of 0.9% across the entire population, this means most likely a maximum of about 1,200 engine failures from all causes including plain stupidity. Since members on NASIOC are likely more vocal, and likely drive their vehicles much harder than the average buyer (including OP since he specifies mostly in-town driving), I'd expect that percentage is slightly inflated compared to reality.

Am I saying don't run a Xw30? Nope, if you want to, feel free. The manual allows for it. In fact, if you are modifying the engine with a tune and other bolt-ons, it's probably a good idea. But to spew 0W20 hate towards a new owner, with warranty, that will apparently be keeping the car stock, and no real data showing there is any real need for a heavier oil is going a little overboard. For the record, I don't think anybody with real experience on this board would consider excursions into the 230*F range even close to being excessive for a synthetic oil, especially in a car with an oil cooler.

NASIOC FA20DIT list
North American WRX sales since 2016

OP, it's your choice. Running any SN+ 0W20 will meet warranty requirements, but yes, if you're so inclined, you can run a D1G2 rated 0W20 or XW30 oil if you prefer. But there's not any real data to show that Subaru's recommendation is insufficient for the engine as it rolls off the factory floor. Sweet car BTW, let us know how you like it once it's broken in!

0W-20 or 5W-20 D1G2 would be my pick.

Now, if you plan on tuning the engine I'd consider something a little heavier if the tune is going to push the engine. Doesn't like you're going to plug an Cobb AccessPort and throw on a intake/exhaust/downpipe on it so xW-20 will work. Ditto for towing.

0W-20. This viscosity has become the norm in more and more turbocharged 4s in N.A. without issue. Even when a thicker viscosity is recommended in other countries.

First of all did you not get three years free oil changes with your Subaru in Canada? You should be using Subaru 0W20 synthetic and Subaru oil filters, paid for by them not by you. My son just bought a 2020 Impreza and his first six oil changes are included.

Second, the manual says 0W20, so 0W20 it is. These are new engine designs. The FB20 DI on the Impreza is only three years old and is 80% all new parts compared with the previous non-DI engine. If Subaru says use 0W20 for your turbocharged engine and the graph shows all temperature ranges that's what they mean.

Originally Posted by Rand

You left out the following sentence right after that, which states:
The following table lists the recommended viscosities and applicable temperatures.

Followed by the table itself that states
0W20 is the required oil for optimal engine performance and protection.

Note the operative words ‘required', ‘performance', and ‘protection'. The chart then shows 0W20, and 0W20 only, across all operating temperatures. No contradiction whatsoever. No wiggle room either. A general guidance that you noticed, is followed by a specific instruction that you omitted.

Originally Posted by R18A1
Hi guys and gals,

Just recently bought a new 2020 Subaru Legacy with the 2.4 turbo engine in it. Looking for opinions on what oil I should use after dumping the initial fill. OCIs are 10000km with 0w20 oil. In town driving with some highway as well, the occasional spirited driving. Also lots of cold starts in the winter up here in northern Ontario Canada.

Any insight would be appreciated, as well as any recommendation for a great oil filter.

As far as the filter is concerned I'd stick with OEM or use a Wix/NAPA Gold 57055/7055. All of these are spec'd to the proper high Subie bypass pressure. Most if not all of your other aftermarket options have a much lower bypass psi spec. No use dumping unfiltered oil back into the system if not necessary.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by R18A1
Hi guys and gals,

Mobil-1 0w20 contents are well regarded here. Use it after ALL of your free oil changes at the dealer have expired.

Originally Posted by wdn
First of all did you not get three years free oil changes with your Subaru in Canada?

That's a regional thing. I don't get them.

Of course the manual says use water for oil! Subaru has to keep that CAFE rating! Do as you will but if you plan to keep this car beyond the warranty I'd be running a 5W30 SYN in it. It is a high compression, DI Turbo engine, I also wouldn't even think about running 87 Octane fuel but thats just me
wink.gif

Last few SM+ D1G2 oils I looked at, the KV100 was marginal 30 grade on the 5W20.

Maybe pick one of those for the summer if it pleases you.

You can also sneek in a litre of 30 grade in with the 20 to give her a HTHS boost and know one will know but you.

I'd just keep an ear on the engine racket and go from there.

My moronic VW dealer thought it was fine to use bulk 5w40 in my new 1.4tsi
and then tell me they put 0W20 in.

Filters are important - I'd search hard for the OE Tokyo Roki for that animal.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
We all know EJs, especially in WRX/STi guise, are friendly to heavier weights. NA EJs are not really as picky.

But come on, Rand, with 14,000+ posts and all you've got is opinions? Not posts of failures in the FA-DIT series from 0W20s? Did you ever think that since this was a clean-sheet engine design, just maybe they got it right? You are being a little ridiculous to compare an Italian turbodiesel V6 in a heavy truck to a Japanese flat four in a car that's half the weight. The FA20DIT has been around for several years now, and since I don't go off of opinions, but data, I did some digging. NASIOC actually has a table of whoever felt like signing up their vehicle with a list of mods, and if there was a problem with their vehicle. On this list, only 7 of over 700 samples were completely stock cars, for a failure rate of about 0.9%. And there's no telling what the root cause failure was for those. From what I can find, in America/Canada, Subaru has sold around 130,000 WRXs since 2016, and since people are much more likely to speak up about failures rather than something that works as expected, even if we use the failure rate of 0.9% across the entire population, this means most likely a maximum of about 1,200 engine failures from all causes including plain stupidity. Since members on NASIOC are likely more vocal, and likely drive their vehicles much harder than the average buyer (including OP since he specifies mostly in-town driving), I'd expect that percentage is slightly inflated compared to reality.

Am I saying don't run a Xw30? Nope, if you want to, feel free. The manual allows for it. In fact, if you are modifying the engine with a tune and other bolt-ons, it's probably a good idea. But to spew 0W20 hate towards a new owner, with warranty, that will apparently be keeping the car stock, and no real data showing there is any real need for a heavier oil is going a little overboard. For the record, I don't think anybody with real experience on this board would consider excursions into the 230*F range even close to being excessive for a synthetic oil, especially in a car with an oil cooler.

NASIOC FA20DIT list
North American WRX sales since 2016

OP, it's your choice. Running any SN+ 0W20 will meet warranty requirements, but yes, if you're so inclined, you can run a D1G2 rated 0W20 or XW30 oil if you prefer. But there's not any real data to show that Subaru's recommendation is insufficient for the engine as it rolls off the factory floor. Sweet car BTW, let us know how you like it once it's broken in!

Subaru recommended 5W30 for the FA20DIT, at least when my FXT's owner's manual was printed, so I doubt there has been much experience with 0W20 in that engine.
We'd have to look at info for the Ascent to get any historical info about the 2.4l DIT with 0W20...and I doubt many owners of those are hanging around on NASIOC! ;^)
I get that the post I am replying to is referring to Subaru's general history with oil recommendations for its DIT engines, but, of course, a 0W20 recommendation for a turbo is going to raise heads on BITOG...especially when 5W30 was recommended for earlier DIT engines.

My wife bought a Legacy XT and seems pretty happy with it...she didn't choose the XT for its power, per se, but because it was much quieter than a similar Legacy with the 2.5l.
I was slightly surprised by the 0W20 recommendation given the DIT, but she is an extremely sedate driver and will not be stressing the engine very much....I also suspect that she will be having her car serviced by the dealer as I am an idiot who will surely destroy her vehicle.
I have only driven the Legacy XT once...I didn't try hard to make it launch and got the feeling that it would probably not be a strong point of that vehicle. I was VERY impressed by the passing power using the downshift paddle, though, that sucker just took off! I also had 93 octane in it at that point, sorta by accident as I am used to buying it for my FXT...but the car seems to run just fine on 87.

Originally Posted by wdn
Originally Posted by Rand

You left out the following sentence right after that, which states:
The following table lists the recommended viscosities and applicable temperatures.

Followed by the table itself that states
0W20 is the required oil for optimal engine performance and protection.

Note the operative words ‘required', ‘performance', and ‘protection'. The chart then shows 0W20, and 0W20 only, across all operating temperatures. No contradiction whatsoever. No wiggle room either. A general guidance that you noticed, is followed by a specific instruction that you omitted.

^^^This

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Last few SM+ D1G2 oils I looked at, the KV100 was marginal 30 grade on the 5W20.

My moronic VW dealer thought it was fine to use bulk 5w40 in my new 1.4tsi
and then tell me they put 0W20 in.

Filters are important - I'd search hard for the OE Tokyo Roki for that animal.

How did you realize they used the wrong viscosity?

Last edited:
A few points:
The FA20DIT required 5w30.

The FA24DIT is fairly new. My point with the ram engine was the owners were doing the beta testing.
not comparing a diesel to a gasser.

The ram ecodiesel was dying early from the oil recommendation.

So who here thinks towing a 5000lb Rec. trailer up a long mountain grade in an Ascent with 0w20 is a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back