Oil Recommendation - 2018 Can Am Maverick X3 Turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2018 CanAM Maverick X3 XRC Turbo R

I am getting ready to do an oil and filter change and wanted to find what oil would be best for this UTV. I will be operating the unit primarily in Southern California. Temperatures ranging from ~65 - 100 Degrees Fahrenheit.

The owners manual calls for the use of XPS 4 Stroke Synthetic Oil (Bombardier OEM Oil) or 5W-40 oil that meets or exceeds API service classification for SJ, SL, SN or SN.

Thanks in advance

I run Castrol Edge 5w40 in our Maverick.No way am I going to pay $20/qt for the Can-Am oil. My oil filter is in a terrible spot! Takes me most of a day to change it. Don't forget to pull your shocks off and grease the ends. They come dry and wear out quick if you don't put grease in there.

Last edited:
I'm looking for recommendations for some top quality oils, not sure which direction to go. Amsoil, Motul, Maxima, etc

Originally Posted By: RedBull43
I have a 2018 CanAM Maverick X3 XRC Turbo R

I am getting ready to do an oil and filter change and wanted to find what oil would be best for this UTV. I will be operating the unit primarily in Southern California. Temperatures ranging from ~65 - 100 Degrees Fahrenheit.

The owners manual calls for the use of XPS 4 Stroke Synthetic Oil (Bombardier OEM Oil) or 5W-40 oil that meets or exceeds API service classification for SJ, SL, SN or SN.

Thanks in advance

Typo. Did it approve SN and SM? Yours said SN and SN. If it said SM you are eligible to use Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck oil in 5W-40 synthetic. Check it out at the Mobil site.

From here on, it’s mostly opinions that are the result of extensive advertising. If it meets 5W-40 and meets spec SN, you’ve done all you need to do. Let the closet chemists come out. I’ll put my flame suit on now.

I have that unit's competitor.

If you are willing to let it warm up a little, valvoline vr1 20w50 has returned great weare numbers for me. I'm in south Louisiana, so our temps get up there.

I have kept it above 8k rpm for over 80 miles before. No stops. Returned its best oil numbers on that sample.

If you are dead set on a 40, realize canam's oil is garbage. Any 0w40 or 5w40 will likely be an improvement. I ran M1 0w40 in my first YXZ. Great wear numbers, but it sounded...off. Just sort of strung out.

You do have catalytic material in your stock exhaust, and it does not like diesel oil.

Just curious as to why you would say that CanAm's oil is garbage? What benefit would it be to put an inferior oil into their machines?

PS, full disclosure, I have worked for an OEM as an oil product developer and have also worked for an OEM oil supplier.

This article is bound to raise some eyebrows. I cannot attest to its accuracy, I simply discovered it while on Google. I was planning to use some of the 9 gallons of Delvac 1 ESP 5W40 in my garage for my Maverick Trail 1000, but after reading this article, I'm wondering if Valvoline MST 5W40 or M1 0W40 Euro might be more appropriate. I know quite a few side by side owners use oils designed for diesel engines such as Rotella, Delvac, Delo, etc.
https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/28576/comparing-gasoline-diesel-engine-oils-

You can spend more $$ but fleets run Chevron oil in equipment costing Millions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back