Oil recommendation / 2009 Accord on a dirt road

Status
Not open for further replies.
2009 Accord LX-P (4 cyl) with 46,500 miles.

I just moved to the country, to the end of a long dirt road. Every drive begins and ends with a dusty half mile at 10 mph.

Most days drive 4 or 5 miles around town. Once or twice a week, I'll log 40 or 50 mile drives at 55 mph on country roads. And every 3 or 4 months, I'll take ~1,000 mile road trips.

I'm currently running Mobil 1 5w-20 with the Honda filter. I've never sent away for a UOA, but my mental maintenance minder starts pinging me around 5k miles and I have to change the oil.

Any recommendations? And any tips for dirt road car care?

Last edited:
I had a road to my house that was 1/4 one way 1/2 mile the other, plus my 1/4 mile drive( Finally it got paved). The oil will be fine, don't change air filters too often, when you do change them, change a day before your oil change.

You will have more of an issue with dust eating the struts and suspension components. I drove the longer dirt road route and did have a lot of tire wear that just had to be from the road.

Originally Posted By: Big_Clem
2009 Accord LX-P (4 cyl) with 46,500 miles.

I just moved to the country, to the end of a long dirt road. Every drive begins and ends with a dusty half mile at 10 mph.

Most days drive 4 or 5 miles around town. Once or twice a week, I'll log 40 or 50 mile drives at 55 mph on country roads. And every 3 or 4 months, I'll take ~1,000 mile road trips.

I'm currently running Mobil 1 5w-20 with the Honda filter. I've never sent away for a UOA, but my mental maintenance minder starts pinging me around 5k miles and I have to change the oil.

Any recommendations? And any tips for dirt road car care?

Wow, a 5k OCI on an ‘09 K24? Wow.... must be all your short trips and not fully warming things up-id say at that rate you have nothing to worry about by the dust, lots of that generation K24’s (mine included) go much much longer on their MM.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd keep doing what you're doing and spend my money on a top quality engine air filter. Instead of changing it every 30K miles, maybe do it every 20K. I like Denso, Fram and Wix air filters, and I avoid the cheapos.

Get yourself a filterminder and install it on the air box. That way you’ll know when the air filter is plugged. I think that’s most important here.

Use a quality oil filter and don't worry much about the oil but I would use Mobil (american-owned) and I would worry more about engine air filter and cabin air filter

Was someone who lives on dirt roads as well as lots of off road jeep trips. Don't worry about the oil. Watch for dust in the intake from a non sealing filter and use a quality filter.

FYI a mile a day isn't much really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back