oil recomendation and question

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would you guys say is the most shear stable dino out there?

also i wanted to get some recomendation for oil and filter on 3 of my vehicles:

vechicle 1: 2004 chevy silverado 4x4, 5.3 v8, 115000 miles, with full bolt ons, and stall converter, this is my summer vehicle that i park during the winter months so it only gets run about 6-7 months out of the year here in the summer (i live in pennsylvania btw) the rest of the time its covered up and put away, no short trips, mix of in town and highway driving, i drive this vehicle like i stole it occasionally as well lol, oil changes aprox. every 4000 miles

vehicle 2: 1997 chevy blazer 4x4, 4.3 v6, 151000 miles, this is my daily driver and my winter vehicle that i run every day in the winter months here in PA and i also drive this to work most of the time, about 50/50 on highway and city miles, most trips are at least 10 miles if not longer. prefer to do oil changes every 4000 mi. on this vechicle as well

vehicle 3: mothers 2008 chevy malibu LT 2.4 I4, 43000 miles, she runs this vehicle year around every day to work which is about 2.5 miles city driving from the house and to get groceries and go shopping which can range from 10-40 miles on the weekends usually.

Let me know what ya all think.

I honestly really like Valvoline. On paper Pennzoil looks better but in reality from what I've seen is Valvoline keeps engines cleaner. I do know castrol is one of the thicker oil of its grade. But also isn't as clean.

I would use something like Motorcraft 5w30. It used to be cheap, it may still be. I have seen many ouas and they all have looked great. PLUS, you would up the reliability of the GMs by running "ford approved" fluids. I'm kidding!!! about the last part.

Most 5-30 conventionals will shear down to a 20 weight in 5000~10,000 miles. Most 10-30's won't and they will run out of acid fighting additives (measured as TBN) before they get that low. I'm not really sure the lowest shear conventional, probably a 10-30 HDEO like rotella.

With 4000 mile OCI's it really won't matter anyway. Probably not going to shear out of grade and TBN will still be high on any current oil.

If you want the best shear stability from a conventional oil, buy a monograde. But since I wouldn't recommend a monograde for any of your vehicles, then I recommend 10w30 if you want the most shear-stable conventional that would be acceptable for year-round use in PA. Or spend a few dollars more and get a 5w30 synthetic blend.

Are you following the OLM in your mother's car for oil changes? Her short tripping would be hard on oil.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
If you want the best shear stability from a conventional oil, buy a monograde. But since I wouldn't recommend a monograde for any of your vehicles, then I recommend 10w30 if you want the most shear-stable conventional that would be acceptable for year-round use in PA. Or spend a few dollars more and get a 5w30 synthetic blend.

Are you following the OLM in your mother's car for oil changes? Her short tripping would be hard on oil.

Yeah i have been changing when the OLM gets to 30% is that good or do you think i should change sooner?

I've always followed the OLM when it runs down to zero and lights the "Change Oil" indicator. 175,000 miles down the road, and still smiling.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back