Oil Rec for Moderately Sludgy Engine?

Hello all, I picked up an old Dodge 1983 W250 (318 engine) ranch truck and it appears to have had irregular oil change cycles based upon the moderate sludge observed with valve covers off. Can someone recommend a good Dino oil that is high in detergents. I will most likely AutoRX first but want to use an oil that will assist in cleaning out the engine over time. Which company produces a quality oil with higher detergents? Engine has a little over 120,000 miles. Thanks!

There is pretty much not a dimes worth of difference between the oils at any given price point.

I would skip the Auto Rx and just run a few short oci with the above suggestions. Trying to flush a 37 year old motor might give you more headache than you want.

I will most likely AutoRX first but want to use an oil that will assist in cleaning out the engine over time. Which company produces a quality oil with higher detergents?

First, a "detergent" is a suspension agent- it doesn't "clean" anything, now or ever.

Sludge removal (in terms of ability and amount) will be determined by the sludge volume, density. composition, coking and curing- not the chemical you select.

If its a concern, you will be best served by a aggressive solvent based thorough washing under pressure and velocity ( which is an effort in itself) which will also require purging of the cleaning agents.

If its not at that level, leave it along and just go with more frequent oil changes and get what you get.

Some here will recall that BrocLuno always bought high mileage vehicles only … and did a few things to freshen them up.
Kreen or BG, with a HDEO is what I recall …

Welcome to BITOG :)

Just run more frequent oil changes. Napa Syntehtic is on sale this month. It's made by Valvoline. Buy a lot of it, and do multiple OCI's of 3k until it's clean.

If you want dino oil I'd use PYB and Rislone, Kreen, or MMO, and run for the last 1,000 miles of a short OCI. When I used one of those products I preferred to do it during the colder months of the year because they do thin the oil a bit, and always with an Xw30 or Xw40 oil. IMO if you want to clean something up, and not spend years or several OCI's doing so a good product like the products I mentioned will help. Opinions will vary, and this often becomes a hot topic. ;) Either way, good luck!

I know you said Dino.
However, consider Mobil 1 synthetic.
No additional additives.
M1 gradually cleaned my old 1997 Camry with several short OCI over 6 months,documented by removing the valve cover.
Gradual cleaning is key - to avoid releasing big chunks of sludge.

I know you said Dino.
However, consider Mobil 1 synthetic.
No additional additives.
M1 gradually cleaned my old 1997 Camry with several short OCI over 6 months, documented by removing the valve cover.
Gradual cleaning is key - to avoid releasing big chunks of sludge.
Good to know, as this truck is a bit greasy, I worry about increased leakage - how is M1 on older seals (37 years old)? One thing I am doing soon is a complete engine detail using steam and a good degreaser and then physically examine engine often in the months following to determine problem areas

AutoRX seems to get good reviews here for efficacy along with Kreen (a Kroil product) I keep thinking I want to wash/brush down valve train with cylinder drains plugged and suck out dirty solvent/debris with oil extractor, unplug drains, drain oil, refill, new filter, etc. but also squirt clean oil over valve train before firing.

1601742328878.png

Crate engine. Or PYB but it will never be as clean as you will want it. We took in a few 318 and 360’s to turn them into strokers, all had 100k+ on them and each and everyone leaked like a faucet.
What do you mean each one leaked like a faucet?? My old Ram in signature burns/leaks or uses ZERO oil with 4-5k OCIs since purchased in 2010 with 62,xxx original miles on it? Previous owner who bought it new said he only ever used conventional oil changed at 3000 miles. I went to synthetic from day one and ZERO issues. Lets make a mountain out of a mole hill why dont we!!

Congrats on the purchase of the old Dodge/you had the valve covers off already --- clean it up manually the best/safest way you can. Run acouple short oil changes with PYB and change the oil filter each round. These things do not happen overnite -- slow and steady will win the race on this topic.

Back