oil rec 2011 suburban

guys i bought the wife a 2011 suburban to haul the kids around. it has 120k on it. not sure of past maintenance but i changed the oil with pennziol platinum 5w30 when i got it. i just changed it again at 5000 miles and it was pretty dark. it also used 1.5 qts in that 5000 miles. my mechanic tells me its a pcv issue and hes gonna fix it tomorrow and give it a tune up.

anyway the current oil fill is pennziol platinum again with a fram ultra filter. i bought the better filter because the thing is so small.

anyhow what do you guys think i should run? my mechanic is going to send me pics of the valvetrain when he has it apart so hopefully i can poat those tomorrow as well.

this truck is used daily to haul 4 kids to 4 different schools. then my wife goes to work for a couple hours and repeats the process is reverse. all in town. alot of idling waiting in line to get kids.

once a month or so we go to grammas. she lives an hour away. all highway.

What’s the build date on the vehicle? It may or may not have the updated pcv valve cover and/or AFM shield in the oil pan.

Kendall GT-1 Max, Castro’s Edge/Magnatec, & Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic are excellent oils to use.

A PVC is so easy why a Mechanic?

What’s the build date on the vehicle? It may or may not have the updated pcv valve cover and/or AFM shield in the oil pan.

Kendall GT-1 Max, Castro’s Edge/Magnatec, & Valvoline Advanced Full Synthetic are excellent oils to use.
3/11

That should have the new valve cover as they started the TSB in Dec 2010 and vehicles after that date were installed with them. There is always the chance that yours is 10 years old now and maybe needs replaced.

That should have the new valve cover as they started the TSB in Dec 2010 and vehicles after that date were installed with them. There is always the chance that yours is 10 years old now and maybe needs replaced.
idk i figure its worth a shot. if it doesnt help i can always rebuild the engine i guess. that would be a good time to get rid of that did multiple displacement garbage

I'm seriously feeling its the third attempt to do nothing and charge you for do nothing Stealershi
idk i figure its worth a shot. if it doesnt help i can always rebuild the engine i guess. that would be a good time to get rid of that did multiple displacement garbage
Was it free or are you paying Stealership diagnostic fees. Sounds more like the ole Dealership BS game to me!

A PVC is so easy why a Mechanic?
because he juat opened a shop and its $200 labor well spent. while i was at work today her car started misfiring. she took it to him and he changed the faulty spark plug and refused to take payment. now hes gonna take payment on a tune up.

Last edited:
I'm seriously feeling its the third attempt to do nothing and charge you for do nothing Stealershi

Was it free or are you paying Stealership diagnostic fees. Sounds more like the ole Dealership BS game to me!
well man if you can fix it better than my mechanic for less ill gladly let ya. how far are you from dallas?

In the 2011 Model year (those built in Dec 2010 and there after) AFM and/or oil consumption problems dropped dramatically due to the updated cover. That's not too say there still were not issues. Just fewer.

Anything dexos is fine for your Suburban :)

I would use the cheapest synthetic on sale run to the OCI suggested by the OLM

Back