Oil quick change place overfilled my engine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry if this has been answered before.

I have a 2005 Honda Civic LX with manual transmission that had an oil change recently. A week and 400 miles later, I was looking under the hood and noticed oil all over the front of the engine. I checked the dipstick and it was WAY over on oil. I took it straight to (a different) mechanic. He later confirmed that the oil was over by about 1 & 1/2 quarts. He said it was leaking oil everywhere. Valve cover, etc. I think he mentioned the EGR valve needed to be replaced. Anyway, what sort of damage can I expect? What will most likely need to be fixed? And do I go back to the original oil and lube place where the oil change was done to ask them to pay the bill? The car currently has 149K miles and I did not notice any smoke or abnormal engine performance. Thanks in advance.

Yes, bring the bill to the place that messed it up. They have insurance to cover things like this. If the car drives and sounds ok then it may be ok. Nothing to lose sleep over.

Most likely you have no damage so drive on but continue to monitor things if you haven't already got the oil level back to where it should be.

Ask around and find a recommended local mechanic or shop that you will start to use for your future oil changes.

Dude get a lawyer on retainer. It's like a neck injury. You might not see a problem now but down the road...who knows? Jiffy lube needs to clean up the mess, fix your oil issue and be put on notice for any mechanical or electrical failure that can be associated with the oil issue. That sucks it happened to you. Nobody has time for that. What if the oil caught on fire? Or perhaps leaked under you tire and caused you to lose control like a guy chasing 007? At least you spotted the problem.

You should tell them about it now, not later.

Consider it a lesson learned with these quick lube places.

That stinks. I would go back to the place that messed up and have them rectify the situation. Best of luck! If everything sounds fine there was probably no damage done mechanically.

Why would it need an EGR? I don't buy the second mechanic's diagnosis; sounds like he wants a few bucks out of the ordeal. But, I don't have the car in front of me, so it's a bit premature for me to say...

1-1/2 quarts is not that much in the grand scheme of things-- at least it shouldn't cause any long-term damage. If the oil was filled way up, you'd usually notice the smell of oil burning & blue smoke out of the exhaust as the first symptom. Why there's oil all over the front of the engine is a mystery to me, that shouldn't happen with a 1-1/2 quart overfill unless they spilled some while filling the sump.

I'd be irate if this happened to me (a prime example of why I do my own oil changes.) You should definitely call them ASAP to report the problem, then get a mechanic or someone knowledgeable to look the car/engine over good. Hopefully they'll work with you, so you don't have to resort to time-consuming and expensive legal action. But definitely don't let them get away with it. Good luck!

I recognize that it's highly unlikely, but check the other fluids. It wouldn't be the first time that a place drained a transmission or some other fluid, and then over filled the engine oil. It might be 1.5 quarts over filled now, but it might have been 4 quarts over filled when they first did it.

Originally Posted By: sicko
I recognize that it's highly unlikely, but check the other fluids. It wouldn't be the first time that a place drained a transmission or some other fluid, and then over filled the engine oil. It might be 1.5 quarts over filled now, but it might have been 4 quarts over filled when they first did it.

Very good point, and a very scary thought!
mad.gif

I could see the egr being affected if the extra oil was being pushed through the pcv system and being burnt off threw the intake. Id have requested the intake manifold been removed and cleaned as well

I cannot comprehend how some people can be on this website and still be using a place like Jiffy Lube for their oil changes! It's absolutely mind-boggling that they have enough knowledge to be on this website yet still pay places like Jiffy Lube.

Best course would be to drain the excess oil and do your own oil changes. Get a lawyer if you're that kinda guy.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.
I cannot comprehend how some people can be on this website and still be using a place like Jiffy Lube for their oil changes! It's absolutely mind-boggling that they have enough knowledge to be on this website yet still pay places like Jiffy Lube.

He just joined to ask for advice.

Originally Posted By: vronline
It's a good idea to check the oil and make sure they put the fill cap on before driving off.

THIS. The last time I took my car to a quickie place for an oil change (back around 1998) they left the fill cap off. I wasted several hours on a Saturday morning driving to find a dealership that had one in stock. I vowed never again. I've always changed my own (excepting the 3 freebies I got with my last car purchase) ever since. I simply do not trust the guys working at those places to care enough about my vehicle. I'm sure many are fine, but I'm not taking a chance. Besides, I save money changing my own. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back