Oil Questions on Other Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever visited other forums and saw them talking about oil and laughed? I just came across this one site and saw them talking about oil and it is funny and sad seeing myths such as cant go from dino to synthetic and back or that Pennzoil has a paraffin base and that supposedly means wax mentioned on there. Some of the things people think/believe just amaze me. This site is full of people who seem to feel they know everything about cars. If it is allowed I will post the link to the other forum so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Also I find it funny when people can't spell the names of the products they are using.

Also anyone ever feel like correcting them and their bad information?

I gave up on that a long time ago. You cant tell most people they are wrong since the information they got from their best friends uncles neighbor who 'worked' on cars in the 60s and 70s is true and factual.

I always like the "discovery" of asphalt base as being the reason for sludge. "See, it wants to turn back into the asphalt from which it came."

My mechanic use's Mobile 1, its the best. He does my breaks and wheel barrens.

Check out saaber1's signature:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1833562

"when 5W30 is cold, ...the oil is 35 weight (5+30),...20 w 50 starts at 70 and warms up to 50"
- Kyle, auto mechanic & VP Speedline Motorsports, INTL

33.gif

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I gave up on that a long time ago. You cant tell most people they are wrong since the information they got from their best friends uncles neighbor who 'worked' on cars in the 60s and 70s is true and factual.

That is what I figured, most of the people on the site I came across seem to be in their late teens to early 30s. They believe they know everything and make a lot of mods to their cars but do not know the very basics, such as oil. One even had a question on wiper blades and the answers given to them by people with the same kind of vehicle were laughable.

I think this site is nice because most of the time people can have civil conversations while on that site all I have seen so far when people disagree is name calling.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I always like the "discovery" of asphalt base as being the reason for sludge. "See, it wants to turn back into the asphalt from which it came."

My mechanic use's Mobile 1, its the best. He does my breaks and wheel barrens.

Some of the guys on the forum use moble 1(this guy uses that on his customers cars that go into his performance shop). Another says, "i run good old valvolene cause thats what the guys said he had been running in it for the 5 years he had it and i use the kandn filter, kinda pricey at like 22
21.gif
dollars or something but the dude at autozone said it was the best." Another guy says, "I adds 2 cans of MOD B&G to oil." Another guy uses pennsoil or mobile one. While another one doesnt use Pennzoil because, "I don't use Penzoil because it's parafin base which =wax
21.gif
and I'd rather not have it stuck to the inside of my motor's",

A few days ago I posted on another forum about someone's use of Duralube. I even linked to bitog reviews of it, saying that I didn't think it did anything positive. I also pointed out that the FTC made them stop their false advertising about how it coated the inside of an engine. The poster wrote back saying he was convinced it saved his engine one time when he lost all his oil and it ran for 1300 more miles. This guy is convinced that Duralube is the best thing since sliced bread, so who am I to argue with that?

Tons of people over on J-body.org believe with all their hearts that Mobil 1 is the best and you MUST do 3K oil changes or you engine will 'asplode. I made a thread, asking which oil, most were that, and nearly all were using Mobil 1 (10W-30 was popular), K&N filter for 3,000 or fewer miles. I said I was using Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 and a NAPA Gold filter for 7,500 miles and they about had a heart attack.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
... Pennzoil has a paraffin base and that supposedly means wax mentioned on there. Some of the things people think/believe just amaze me. ...?
Fact1: most modern oils are paraffinic base; Fact2: Shell XHVI group iii+ is indeed made from wax. Is this a BAD thing? No!

You could do a lot worse than M1 in any engine.
To drain it at 3K is a bit much, however, and K&Ns only make sense as part of an oil change special, like the one I got from AZ with 5 qts of GC for ~ $26.00.
Rather than arguing on the site, you could encourage members to come on over here, where they can learn about oil.

Spelling (outside of typos) is often a good way to gauge a person's intelligence. One has to wonder... if they haven't bothered to learn spelling, what else haven't they bothered to learn.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
Has anyone ever visited other forums and saw them talking about oil and laughed? I just came across this one site and saw them talking about oil and it is funny and sad seeing myths such as cant go from dino to synthetic and back or that Pennzoil has a paraffin base and that supposedly means wax mentioned on there. Some of the things people think/believe just amaze me. This site is full of people who seem to feel they know everything about cars. If it is allowed I will post the link to the other forum so you guys can see what I am talking about.

Also I find it funny when people can't spell the names of the products they are using.

Also anyone ever feel like correcting them and their bad information?

This site, while certainly above average in terms of knowlegable posters, has its share of "amazing" comments posted too.

I was beat up on a Cavalier site for suggesting an 0W-30 synthetic.

I just saw suggestions there today that hard starting can be caused by dirty oil and too high octane gas.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
Spelling (outside of typos) is often a good way to gauge a person's intelligence. One has to wonder... if they haven't bothered to learn spelling, what else haven't they bothered to learn.
Spelling is just memorisation - particularly with respect to spelling in English. Maybe for some it is not their primary voice, rather their second or possibly third langauge. I would rather not struggle through the racket of poor grammer, but true intellegence will shine regardless. Hows that for dangling.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Kestas
Spelling is just memorisation - particularly with respect to spelling in English. Maybe for some it is not their primary voice, rather their second or possibly third langauge. I would rather not struggle through the racket of poor grammer, but true intellegence will shine regardless. Hows that for dangling.

I would tend to agree, I write repair procedures for Navy Ships/submarines all day long. I veg out on the net. I didn't come here to have my spelling graded. Guys who do that on the net need something better to do.

Oh my this is the internet and this is serious stuff.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Those on NORIA make fun of posts on BITOG
wink.gif

Funny thing how the most active threads there are about BITOG.

I don't think that there are too many places to get a bona fide formal education for motor oil that are available to the public.

Put multiviscosity motor oil into google. Then figure out how you would learn about it before the internet. The first hits on google don't have it quite right ..or don't express it in a manner that anyone outside of the curve could understand.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/oil_viscosity.htm

http://micapeak.com/info/oiled.html

Here's one quote from another site that gets it right ..but uses the wrong rationale.

Besides, if you thought about it for a second, it wouldn't make sense for a 10w30 oil to be a 10 weight oil in the cold and a 30 weight oil in warm temperatures. What liquid do you know of that gets "thicker" as its temperature increases or "thinner" as the temperature decreases?

I would venture to say you probably can't come up with one. This holds true for motor oil as well. If a 10w30 was a 30 weight oil at 100 degrees C and a 10 weight oil at cold temperatures, that would mean it "thinned out" as the temperature dropped. That just doesn't make any sense considering what we know about liquids. It just doesn't happen like that.

What would a 10 weight look like @ -25F? What would a 30 weight look like at 212F?

Even this guy/person doesn't understand that even if you're wrong, the concept of something appearing like a thinner oil at cold temperatures doesn't mean that it is INDEED thinner than what the average joe consumer is look at when holding a room temp bottle of oil.

That is, take Bruce's wizbang 0w-10 and throw it in a freezer ..then hand it to a noob consumer along with a bottle of SAE 30 @ 70F .. the 0w-10 was indeed thicker than the SAE monograde 30 .. it would be thicker than a 20w-50 ..a 10w-30 ..thicker than any oil at room temp.

The point is, very few communicate this topic well.

Some of these comments are laughable. I see a lot of this offline as well. Figure you guys would get a kick out of this.

Unlike the UK, I cannot do my own oil changes here, because I can get fined for doing so in a residential area. So I have to take it to a garage to get it changed. People here beleive you judge oil based on colour, and when I was getting my oil changed on the Lexus today, the guy almost had a heart attack. The old fill was Mobil 1 0W-40 with MOS2 added to it. He was like "How long did you go on this oil?" and my response was "21,800 kilometres." It also had MOS2 in the oil, so he was like "Look, your engine metals are worn out and in the oil!!"

At one point, I wanted to try out WIX oil filters. The guy at the oil change place refused to install it, and tried to sell me a Chinese Mitsubishi filter instead, claiming it's "genuine" and I'm installing a "poor quality filter". Now when they see the Hyundai filter, their automatic reaction is "This won't fit!"

Another one is when the guy tried to sell me recycled BP Visco 20W-50 oil, when I supplied my own Liqui-Moly Synthoil Long Time 0W-30 for the Ford 4.6. Apparently, the weather's too hot for 'thin oil' and my engine can 'fail at any time'.

Yes Gary, Google is not the friend of those knowing little about the subject. It only finds ones discussing the subject. Often ones full of marketing hype.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back