Oil question for new/used dodge 4.7L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a used Dodge Ram 1500 2005 4x4 with a 4.7L engine with 60,000 miles. I do not know the past maintenance record of the vehicle although it is in very good shape. My question is this. The 4.7L has a problem with sludge often times building up in the engine do to a poor placement of the oil fill tube and the PVC valve.
Here is my question. I was thinking of running Valvoline Max life in the engine a few times to hopefully clean any sludge that might be in the engine with a WIX 51085 filter. After a couple changes then going to a full synthetic maxlife and a true synthetic filer? Does this make any sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had two 4.7 Dodges (Durango and Ram) and both had sludge in the fill tub. And both ran like a top for many years.

The Ram ran Mobil 1; the Durango ran QS Green Bottle. Neither had engine issues.

Just put name brand oil in it and keep up with the OCI; you'll be fine.

Same here, have a 2000 Dakota with the 4.7 and find the snot under the oil fill every winter. That's it. It's not really "sludge" in that it's more of a water/oil mix. It will cook off once it warms up, at least in my experience.

Just keep up with the oil changes. I've used Mobil Super 5k, yeah a non-synthetic, since new. No problems at almost 190k.

All your seeing in the filler tube is condensation mixing with oil vapors, term on Jeep forum is oil snot!

Change the PCV and the two breathers at the back of the manifold.

clean your TB, take the AIS motor off the TB and clean the carbon gunk out of the TB.

per sludge, unless someone neglected the maintenance , it isnt an issue.

I would pay attention to the cooling system, they dont tolerate over heating.

I run synthetic xw-30 in my WJ and never a problem

I drove a 1500 / 4.7 for many years, operated in a relatively cold climate
where the oil snot build up was an issue from late fall to early spring.

Removing the plastic oil filler tube assy from the engine and wrapping it with several layers
of insulating tape pretty much solved the problem.

(my snowblower & garden tractor have the same basic design of long plastic filler tubes
and both have the same tendency to build up moisture in them)

The 4.7 isn't the strongest/fastest or best mileage V8 engine but quite reliable,
a leaky water pump was the only repair it needed in 11 years of service.

5W-30 was best suited, experimented with 0W-30 & 10W-30 and had a lot of ticking on start-ups.
Over the years used : Redline, Mobil 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State, no difference felt.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I love(d) that 4.7-- as you said, not a powerhouse, but just enough torque to make things interesting
Steve
In a half ton maybe, in a 4x4 ext cab 5 spd Dakota it had a lot of power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back