Oil question about Chevy 3.6l lfx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, long time reader first time poster. I have a 2012 Camaro with the di 3.6l lfx with a manual 6 speed, it has a 6 quart pan. And I have about 27k miles in it so far. I've used mobil which worked good, Mobil1 ESP- didn't fare as well I think because the motor made substainal more noise with this oil. Then I switched to royal purple and it okay, top end noises where quieter. Then I went to pennzoil ultra and it worked great. The noises went away. Now i have Been using 5-30w in all these oils. And lately I thought about switching to a 0-40w because these motors are hard oil with the gdi. My usual commute is about 30 miles to school and 30 back plus some running around here and there. My oil temp doesn't go above 210 hardly when I'm casually driving. I guess my question would be, is a good idea to switch to a 0-40 or stay with the 5-30 with summer coming up. And occasionally I do get on it pretty hard and rev her to 7k but not a every day thing. Thanks for reading, sorry of its long and my punctuation is off, I did this on my phone

5w30 Dexos1 oil is all you need.
I have the same engine in my 2012 Impala and use Quaker State
Ultimate Durabilty with no noise.

Keep using 5w-30. Pick a good synthetic (you said Pennzoil Ultra worked good) and a extended performance filter. Change the oil when the car says. Only reason you should use Mobil 1 0w-40 is for a track day event. I do alot of drag racing and autocross, and I dont even move up a grade in oil, only if i do a track day.

If you really wana know more about your cars oil, do a UOA. Its worth the $25

Pennzoil Platinum holds up pretty good in DI engines. I would run PP with 5k intervals because fuel dilution will be an issue.

one oil that seems to do great in the 3.6DI is valvoline. there are some UOA's here of VWB used on a 3.6 with great results.

The key thing with a DI engine is to change often. 5k max in my opinion.

Any 5w30 should get the job done well.

Someone posted a good UOA with a 3.6 and 0w40 recently. I think it's a good combination with the DI 3.6 and it's inherent fuel dilution, but due to CAFE GM will not recommend it, of course.

It would be interesting to see what kind of oils our "Thicker than molasses" brothers down in Australia run in the 3.6. I bet there's not just a few people running 20w50 or thicker.

I have been using wix oil filters. Another thing about the heavier oil what would it do to the hydraulic timing chain tensioners. This is a high oil pressure motor.

The oil pressure is regulated like almost any engine and will not vary much. It definitely will bypass when high enough no matter what grade oil is used.

The 3.6 is proving to be an excellent motor for most owners, great power and decent economy. I really like the power curve and the smooth way it builds to the redline. But it is lacking a bit in torque at very low revs.

Nothing a nice set of twin turbos can't fix!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back