oil question (10W-30 or 10W-40?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would like to avoid putting 5W-30 in this particular car, it starts fine right now using 10W-40 and it's in the 20 degree range here in eastern Washington state. Maybe I'll try
10W-30 next time.

A 10w-30 will not give you an improvemnt in cold start over a 10w-40.
It is the first number in a viscosity rating that indicates cold start ability.
And both are a 10w-.
So if you want improved cold start a 10w-30 will not give it to you, but a 5w-30 will.

(Of course if you were running a full synthetic oil you could stay with a 10w40 even thru the winter.)

Fred...
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by MustangGT:
I think I would like to avoid putting 5W-30 in this particular car, it starts fine right now using 10W-40 and it's in the 20 degree range here in eastern Washington state. Maybe I'll try
10W-30 next time.

I agree on staying away from the 5/30 if possible.
Look at some of the data sheets at the various company sites,some 10/30's pump easier when cold than others. Actually some pump as well as some 5/30's,,just have to cruise the sites and print the data.

One could, theoretically, get a slight cold temperature pumping advantage with a 10W30.

In addition, you would have less VII's to shear back and thicken the oil.

I agree that generally a 10w-30 is a allround better grade (due to less VI's used), and also that some 10w-30's exist, that pump better cold than some 5w-30's, (I didnt wanna complicate my original reply).
But in general for winter drving most 5w-30's will pump better cold than most 10w-30's.

Fred...
smile.gif

In an older economy car that recommends 10W-30 or
10W-40 year round which is the better choice during the winter? The car is a mirage with 158,000 miles on it. I've been using 10W-40 all summer, but noticed that 10W-30 can used pretty much anytime of the year too.

I agree with Palmerwmd. In most cases a 10W30 is a better all around oil than a 10W40 IMHO. Dependig on the severity of the winter, you could move to a 5W30, but wonder about the thinness of the oil in a car that old.

Quote:
'Dependig on the severity of the winter, you could move to a 5W30, but wonder about the thinness of the oil in a car that old."

If very very cold no problem,that oil will be pretty thick I believe even when driving for short distance because of oil temp. Take some 5/30 dino and get it to 20F somehow and pour it into a container,glug glug,
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back