Oil qualities influencing your decision to buy

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's are the top 3 parameters you may consider (if any) when selecting an oil.

For example any of the following:
base oil category, noack, kv100, hths, tbn, vi, tan, flash point, ccs, mrv, pour point, uoa history, certain additives or lack thereof (published or based on voa), kv40, price, brand, container (design, size, color), local availability, ...,etc.

Any final deciding factor (top 3) once you have decided the grade and spec (ilsac, acea, etc.)?

I know you may have cars that are under "oil is oil" category
shocked2.gif
but I am sure many (if not all on bitog) have cars that ain't
grin2.gif

Redline oil because it's a POE and it flows super well in hot and cold temperatures. It is overkill and has tremendous advantages over the other bases. Esters have stronger film strength and a hths of 2.9 from the 0w20 is nuts. Viscosity is compared to 5w20 /5w30.

So your top 3's are: base oil, hths and mrv! Solid top 3
grin2.gif

Last edited:
HTHS
Noack
dexos1 Gen2

I bought Valvoline Advanced 5W-30 based on those parameters. Bonus was the easy pour 5 qt jug ... works really well.

A3/B4, ACEA C3 (depending on application)
Dexos 2
Low Viscosity Index (if I have a data set, Harman Index closer to 1)

Availability (otherwise, what's the point?)

Viscosity. Nothing lower than 10W30 and in practice 15W40 is a working minimum.

Additives (old school Zn levels favoured, so nothing newer than SJ).

Brand : I have to have heard of it. That doesn't mean YOU have to have heard of it, so China Petroleum Corporation stuff is OK.

Price: Around 100NT /litre, give or take. This doesn't tend to get you stuff labelled "synthetic", which is OK by me.

1. Consistent availability (not just at my local walmart)
2. Meets specs (in my case D1G2)
3. I can get it for a decent price (roughly $5 a quart)

Price
HTHS of at least 3.5
TBN of 10 or more
Low NOACK if possible.
Preferably >1100ppm of Zinc / Phos
Basically i look for ACEA A3/B4 on PCMO's or API CJ-4 or older and ACEA E7 on HDEOs

Last edited:
All viscometric data
Synthetic with some Group 5 present
TBN > 8
Zinc between 750 and 1200 PPM
Molybdenum > 100 PPM
- much more if not trinuclear Mo
Sulfated ash < 1.2%
Volatility < 10%

40 years of using M1 oils with never an oil related failure such as sludge, varnish, engine wear that could be detected, increased oil consumption, and all at 10K OCIs. All of the other stuff is for others to fret over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back