Oil qualities influencing your decision to buy

1.) API Cert: current 2.) HTHS: >= 3.2 3.) Application: MPFI, NA, normal driving = conventional; TGDI, aggressive driving = Synthetic 4.) Ambient Temp: 10W > -15C; 5W < -15C; 0W < -25C 5.) OCI: < 8000km = conventional; > 8000km = synthetic 6.) Availability: high to keep my fluid selection consistent

1. It says Pennzoil, Valvoline, or Castrol on the jug (or boutique names, but see #3 below) 2. Correct viscosity for my car 3. Five qts price < $15 after rebates, etc.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
1. It meets the spec for my application 2. Low Noack 3. From a recognized brand 4. I can get it at a reasonable price

Bud

$50 Site Donor 2022
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Meets manufactures spec. and certification for my engine Meets manufactures spec. for grade Easily obtainable on sale with rebate
This.

For me, it's gota have a good soot control, withstand fuel dilution and be able to handle shearing. A Very strong add pack being my truck has non of the emissions devices on it that newer vehicles worry about and a strong TBN 10+ or it's not worth my time.

No coupons or rebates. Synthetic or Synth blend. 5 gallon containers (preferred) or 5qt jugs (if available by the case) where price-point is less than $3.50 per quart (synthetic) or $2.50 per quart (synth blend). Meets manufacturer specs (for my cars currently SN/GF5). Meets recommended viscosity. My OCIs are between 5000 and 6500 miles.

Originally Posted by RayCJ
No coupons or rebates. Synthetic or Synth blend. 5 gallon containers (preferred) or 5qt jugs (if available by the case) where price-point is less than $3.50 per quart (synthetic) or $2.50 per quart (synth blend).
Please, do tell... exactly what oils meet ALL of your criteria? I'm not aware of many at all that meet your requirements...

Patman

Staff member
Originally Posted by tig1
40 years of using M1 oils with never an oil related failure such as sludge, varnish, engine wear that could be detected, increased oil consumption, and all at 10K OCIs. All of the other stuff is for others to fret over.
I can see you've had great results and I understand you don't want to change things but I'd find it a little boring to keep doing the same thing for such a long time. I like to try different oils from time to time, to spice things up and keep it interesting.

Originally Posted by rsalan
Originally Posted by MCompact
Graphics on bottle
LOL LOL
+1. I gotta hand it to Castrol with some of their graphics being excellent. grin2 [Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by RayCJ
No coupons or rebates. Synthetic or Synth blend. 5 gallon containers (preferred) or 5qt jugs (if available by the case) where price-point is less than $3.50 per quart (synthetic) or $2.50 per quart (synth blend).
Please, do tell... exactly what oils meet ALL of your criteria? I'm not aware of many at all that meet your requirements...
Been buying this for the last 5 years. Price varies. SB is always $20 less than this. https://www.amazon.com/MILESYN-0W20-SYNTHETIC-DEXOS1-GALLON/dp/B00YUKMLWQ https://www.amazon.com/Milesyn-Synt...mp;psc=1&refRID=WFVSPZNRWQ72GDM5D1BW

I dont know a whole lot about oil but if i can get name brand for cheap and the engine is nothing fancy then thats what ill buy. Price name brand availability

Can I actually buy It? (This is a problem with some oils like Valvoline VR1 or Royal Purple HPS that are hard to buy in California)...