Oil puddling on stick after 2k miles, 11 months

Seasonal vehicle, 19 Kia Sorrento, 10k miles. Oil changed at dlr before 5 mos storage 11mos ago. After 2k miles I noticed oil is dark and "puddling" on stick. Was supposed to be synthetic, adding to the question the 3.3 V6 takes 6.8 quarts. Uses a cartridge filter which is black. I think I got hosed somehow?

Seasonal vehicle, 19 Kia Sorrento, 10k miles. Oil changed at dlr before 5 mos storage 11mos ago. After 2k miles I noticed oil is dark and "puddling" on stick. Was supposed to be synthetic, adding to the question the 3.3 V6 takes 6.8 quarts. Uses a cartridge filter which is black. I think I got hosed somehow?

If I am reading this correctly you have put only 2000 miles on in the past 11 months after it was stored. Sounds like a lot of short trips and or just sitting.

Get out and take it for a nice drive.

My GDI Kia oil starts looking dark around 2,000 miles and it’s coal black when I change it at 3,000. I think that’s pretty normal for GDI engines. If you did a lot of short trips on the car, I would change it out anyway because there’s probably some fuel in it.

Just drive it and enjoy it. Changing oil early is a waste of resources.

H/K severe svc situations isn't different than anyone else's. Change the oil at either 3750/6 or 7500/12 if going by the book. Or, somewhere in between like 5000/6. Get a UOA of the current fill to see how much fuel may be present.

Clean the impurity off your dipstick from a dirty rag. It's not the oil causing the puddling. You are worrying over nothing..

To clarify: changed oil before storing for 5 mos, 2k miles post storage (seasonal usage) the oil is separating (what I call puddling) on the stick and black. Great to know this is a GDI issue. I still think this oil broke down prematurely IMHO. I put Mobil-1 in and will be watching it closely. Thanks

Why? If it was driven a while fully hot before parking for the winter, the almost new oil isn't magically going to go bad.
Something about acids in the oil and dilution of the additive package. I would go as far as to change the oil with cheap oil and run that for just a few miles and change it again to whatever brand you like. Just offering my opinion.

Something about acids in the oil and dilution of the additive package. I would go as far as to change the oil with cheap oil and run that for just a few miles and change it again to whatever brand you like. Just offering my opinion.
Oil does not go bad sitting by itself in the pan. Oil has alkaline buffers that neutralize acids, but the acid has to get there somehow in the first place. The way it happens is through the products of combustion, when sulfur complexes are oxidized those compounds are mixed with water and produce acid. But if the engine isn't operating then there are no new products of combustion and the TBN (B=base=alkaline) is not being depleted.

That's overkill. Oil in the engine for a year isn't going to break down any faster if it's not ran, especially it the oil was changed right before storage. Another key to safe storage is making sure the vehicle was driven a long time to get the engine fully hot for an extended time to ensure all moisture was burned off.

Some people here who have a vehicle they don't drive a lot of miles (like 1000/yr) have kept the same oil in their engines for 2-3 years and have a UOA done which shows the TBN is still good.

To clarify: changed oil before storing for 5 mos, 2k miles post storage (seasonal usage) the oil is separating (what I call puddling) on the stick and black. Great to know this is a GDI issue. I still think this oil broke down prematurely IMHO. I put Mobil-1 in and will be watching it closely. Thanks
Only way to judge the oil condition is with an oil analysis. Can't tell a lot by looking at it, especially with DI.

Can you please describe what you're seeing? Can you provide a picture? I have never heard of an oil "separating."

Can you please describe what you're seeing? Can you provide a picture? I have never heard of an oil "separating."
I've seen that happen on the dipstick on a few of my vehicles before.

Back