Oil Prices Climbing

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the oil companies report the most profitable quarters in their entire histories! Demand for oil is largely inelastic so increasing the price does not reduce demand to reduce any profit increase. They have us "over a barrell"!

My 355 quarts will keep me safe for a while.
fruit.gif

That is a nice thing about stocking up on oil because essentially you are saving yourself loads of money in the future.

10 years from now I wouldn't be surprised if we are paying $10 a quart for the normal cracked-group III synthetic. I almost have 40+ quarts so I'm doing well myself.
grin.gif
Nowhere near 100 tho
frown.gif

Well lets see if you get 22 mpg and change oil every 5K miles..

Cost of gasoline @ $2.50/gal=

Cost of Gasoline= $568

Cost of oil at $2 oer quart (5 quarts) = $10

WShy are we having this conversation?
smile.gif

Three reasons:
1> BITOG caters to hysterics because they generate revenue-producing site traffic.
2> These "conversations" give oil stashers additional chances to gloat.
3> See #1 and #2.

Surely they were cheaper before the BITOG
smile.gif

I actually think pricing is not cost based, rather it is based on "who" the guy demands. Newer cars opt for xw 30 's here... and I don't get why M1 0w 30 should be more pricey than the 0w 40...

To me it is not so inelastic (thanks mostly to the BITOG). Recently they pumped up the prices and I promptly switch to the diesel oils. One possibility is Total TIR 6400, 15w 40, which strictly marketed as "haulers oil" but it is SJ approved. Other possibilities are straight 30 for summer, or 20w 20, or a 10w 30 which is SL, A3, B3 and E3. I never pay the premium price for an oil. I wonder my mechanics reaction if I bring him the "T.I.R. oil".

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
Why are we having this conversation?
smile.gif

Because gas doesn't come in prettily shaped quart containers that we can show off. 50 quarts of GC looks impressive. Who wants to see some rusted 55-gallon drum full of gas? Doesn't even have a sticker on it.
tongue.gif

I think I will add to my stash tomorrow. Thanks for the heads up. I had been avoiding buying any more oil from checker - chevron supreme ads - since the stash was getting a little large. That will be changing next week now. Gonna hit walmart and stock up on some supertech dexron 3 before the price increases makes its way to walmarts stock.

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:
fruit.gif

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to take that money and invest it? Even a moderate rate of return should outpace inflation and you'll be money ahead at the end of 10 years when you would have used up the oil stash.

quote:

Originally posted by michaelc80:

quote:

Originally posted by Zaedock:
fruit.gif

Wouldn't it make more financial sense to take that money and invest it? Even a moderate rate of return should outpace inflation and you'll be money ahead at the end of 10 years when you would have used up the oil stash.

Well, not really. The amount I have paid for most of the oil and the amount of vehicles and "Toys" that I maintain justifies my "investment". In just over a year and a half's time, I will already have saved more money than I spent on my initial cash outlay. Plus, I am good for several years. Then, I can take the money I would have had to spend on full price or inflated price oil and invest that. It's win-win(for me).
Oil stashing probably doesn't make sense for everyone though.

Everyone has a hobby. Whether that be collecting different items - it all costs money. Now, 355 quarts is inconceivable to me but people like this make the world far from dull.

I've got 45 quarts (mostly GC gold & Amsoil). Already I have my family calling me mental. Changing oil & getting a UOA is just too much fun!!!
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Everyone has a hobby. Whether that be collecting different items - it all costs money.

You want to talk about expensive hobbies? My other hobby is collecting Snap-on. That gets expensive fast, but you get to keep something for your money that last a very long time, if not forever.
smile.gif

Now if they only had a forum for obsessive tool fanactics......

cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back