oil prices at Walmart Canada!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Therefore don't buy it at that price.
Wait for sales and there is always something on sale, but don't restrict yourself to PP.

And for synthetic 20wt oil the best deal in Canada is from the Japanese OEMs.

Ya definitely not! I've got a stash of 4 jugs for now of PP for my turbo DD i picked up when they were $23. I'm heading down to NY next weekend and will scout the oil aisle for deals. I'm hoping to find some PU for a good price as it's worked wonders on my Camaro this season and want more for next!

Last edited:
With 4 jugs of PP you're sitting pretty.

A couple of days before you go States side, post a question for the best current oil deals.
I got some M1 0W-XX for $29.99/5qts plus M1 oil filter at AZ, your can't beat that.
You'll rarely latch onto any deals just scouting the oil aisles.

I agree - the 4 jugs should get me a years worth of oil changes on my Nissan.

I will definitely post the question. It's exciting going down for deals as the prices here are ridiculous.

I noticed the PP price as well. And it's not just PP and not just Walmart, it's all the syn brands siting around 40-48 for a 4-5L jug! I had 4 jugs of 5W20 PP that I bought on sale for $24 ea but I have since used it up. Actually my stash is completely gone. I'm down to 1 bottle of GC 0W-30 now....how embarrassing ;-)
Time to stock up when I see a sale.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

At 5 bucks a litre the Japanese 0W-20's can't be beat. It's one area where we actually get a better deal than the Americans.

You can still get reasonable prices on PC, Esso and Shell products not to mention 0W-30 and 0W-40 products not available south of the border. It is only on the US name brand oils like Pennzoil and Mobil that we get stiffed.

Seems like all of the WM oil prices have gone up but I couldn't resist the VWB SN sale.

I bought 3 - 5 litre jugs for $9.88.

Looks like I will be switching to dino for a while.

At 5 bucks a litre the Japanese 0W-20's can't be beat. It's one area where we actually get a better deal than the Americans.

You can still get reasonable prices on PC, Esso and Shell products not to mention 0W-30 and 0W-40 products not available south of the border. It is only on the US name brand oils like Pennzoil and Mobil that we get stiffed.

Which manufacturers sell them? Can you just walk into the dealership and buy oil by the litre?

Yeah this is stupid, PP went from like 23 on sale , to 36 reg, to 40 dollar plus now ? huh

Ultra is completely discontinued as per walmart manager who checked the sku.

I just went to buffalo last weekend and saw ultra for 24 and pp for 23, castrol edge for 30 instead of the stupid 48 at walmart, i am thinking of stashing on a secret two jugs i hid at walmart the other day. i got two 5w-20 ultras someone missplaced them and no one bought them all this time (2010 batch) so i got two and hid another two in the fishing isle (hehe) and got the wife some syntec (no - not as a present lol) 4.4L for 23 while the same syntec in a 5L was 40+. makes not sense to me whatsoever...

HELLO, THE DOLLAR IS AT PAR....!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cingkrab

Which manufacturers sell them? Can you just walk into the dealership and buy oil by the litre?

First welcome to BITOG!

The Toyota Brand 0W-20 (made for them by EOM) is available at every Toyota and Lexus dealership by the litre and 5 litre jug.

The idemitsu made Honda/Acura Brand 0W-20 is available at every Honda and Acura dealership by the litre but is cheaper by the case of 12 (often under $5/L).

Mazda 0W-20 is apparently made by Petro-Canada at every Mazda dealer by the litre.

I can't wait for my NY trip next weekend. I'm stocking up on oil and car detailing goodies too. I'm all for supporting our local economy - but not when i'm being shafted at the cash registers! Long live the US/Canadian dollar parity!! lol

Originally Posted By: Loris
I can't wait for my NY trip next weekend. I'm stocking up on oil and car detailing goodies too. I'm all for supporting our local economy - but not when i'm being shafted at the cash registers! Long live the US/Canadian dollar parity!! lol

Tires is another product that we gert screwed on. You can easily save around 200-400 by crossing the boarder on a set of 4 tires.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Originally Posted By: Loris

Tires is another product that we gert screwed on. You can easily save around 200-400 by crossing the boarder on a set of 4 tires.

Not really. I called around Buffalo area for 15 inch Cooper tires and I got quotes ranging from $470 to $530 or so, I got them in Ontario for $500 tax in, perhaps if you shop for some high end tires the savings are there, but that was not the case for me. Same with oil, I got Valvoline white bottle for 9.88 for 5L jug and PYB for $11 a jug.

Perhaps shops around Buffalo got smart and jacked up the prices, hoping to get unsuspecting Canadians, which seems to be working, but I would not automatically assume that you can get a better price in states, you just have to shop around. A lot of times the price difference is too little to justify the time and cost of going across the boarder.

And yeah I support our local economy too as much as I can, I just support the ones that charge fair prices
wink.gif

I stocked up on that $9.88 Valvoline deal too, but you gotta be careful! I checked all the labels so I could get my 5W20 and 5W30 jugs in the SN formulation and not SM (old), but I noticed some were labeled 5W30 in the front, then 5W20 in the back! You gotta be careful.

Any of you guys know what the he!l happened to Valvoline disappearing from Canadian Tire and WalMart as regular stock? It's my favourite oil because it pours out almost white, like cooking oil (psychological re-assurance that it's extra-pure), and a lot of old timers seem to swear by the brand. Does Valvoline also charge less since they don't seem to spend as much on advertising as Castrol and Quaker State?

9.88C for a 5L jug of VWB is a good price.
We pay considerably more on this side of the border.
WRT typical pricing here, PYB and QSGB are usually less expensive than VWB, while GTX is typically the most expensive dino.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
WRT typical pricing here, PYB and QSGB are usually less expensive than VWB, while GTX is typically the most expensive dino.

The VWB has been on special at our Walmarts here for a substantial period of time. I swear that they bought way too much or something. As for GTX, that tends to be the cheapest conventional here, all things being equal. Since I've started posting here and paying attention, I haven't been in a Walmart where GTX wasn't on a healthy rollback. I picked up PYB since its rollback was better than GTX's, but GTX seems to be on permanent rollback, whereas PYB is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back