Oil price too high? No more CSK 49c Shell/Chevron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a habit of check for Chevron/Shell 49c after rebate deal on Kragen on a regular basis. This time around I haven't seen it on the flyers, but most name brand dino are 99c after rebate.

Does that means the oil price is starting to make CSK lose too much in offering 49c / qt oil? Will we never see it again?

wait until winter, the free after rebate oils start popping up because people don't change their oil in the winter. stock up then

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Is OReilly's part of CSK now?

I don't know, but from what I can tell they are expanding at record speed and buying other parts stores:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/History.do?subid=10867&linkTitle=History

They put one in where I went to high school (town of 6,000 people) right next to an Auto Zone and one right next to where I work. Supposedly (info from counter person) Auto Zone and O'Reilly's had an agreement to not put a store next to each other until Auto Zone messed up or violated that understanding. Seems like O'Reilly's is expanding at record speed and according to the counter person (taken with grain of salt)the owner has a lot of financial resources to keep expending. I now have a 5 year supply of oil due to their free oil rebates last year.

If you purchase online (in my neck of the woods, anyway) - you can get 5W-20 or 5W-30 for 2.39/quart plus the $1/quart rebate.

$1.39 is still a great deal for Chevron Supreme.

Checker recently did Chevron for $.49/quart after rebate around here.

Check Napa on Fridays - apparently they run specials with their house brand oil (Made by Valvoline) and Proselect filters - both $.99

Lumberg- I just saw that O'reilys has moved into parts of southern VA, I'm hoping they make it here. If so I'll bet they get into the DC market also.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Checker recently did Chevron for $.49/quart after rebate around here.

Check Napa on Fridays - apparently they run specials with their house brand oil (Made by Valvoline) and Proselect filters - both $.99

Napa in-store specials or online prices? Does Napa have a weekly or monthly specials flyer? I too have a habit of every Sunday morning checking online at Autozone, Advance Auto, and cskauto.com for any new deals.

99 cents after rebate is still a fair price for Pennzoil, Castrol, etc. (the current coupon/rebate deal they have), but I too have wondered how much longer they can do the 49 and 59 cent after rebate deals on Chevron and Shell. Wait and see for the next flyer!
35.gif

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
wait until winter, the free after rebate oils start popping up because people don't change their oil in the winter. stock up then

I read this a few times on this board. Why dont people change thier oil in the winter? I have always changed mine regardless of the season.

Originally Posted By: Firehawk409
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

I read this a few times on this board. Why dont people change thier oil in the winter? I have always changed mine regardless of the season.

it's below freezing outside. -10 degrees in Minnesota in December e.g.

yaaa i guess thats a pretty good reason to not lay on the ground and work on the car.lol Though here in new orleans its hot and humid as heck here doesnt make it much more fun either.

I still do it in the winter, even when it's below freezing. It sucks, but I wear a dirty old thick coat of mine and gloves and come inside every so often to warm up.

I just got the Murray's flyer today. No more 49¢ Shell oil. It is now 99¢ after rebate. Those days are over. I'm glad I stocked up when I could.

I've never had a problem changing oil in the winter. As long as I had a garage the oil got changed on a timely basis. Even without a garage all I needed was a dry day.

I’m sure 49c deal will be back, we have seen similar threads in a past when prices goes over one dollar then back to 80-49c so no need to panic. Meanwhile there Valvoline synthetic deal $10 for 5qt plus bosch filter, that’s less then 80c per qt considering that filter alone would cost $6+ sure you probably can return it later if filter no needed...lol

I think I have stocked enough to survive for 1 year (4 cars, 60k miles per year total, 7.5kM for synthetic and 5kM for dino, 24 qt of Synthetic and 12 qt of Dino), and have no more room to stock any more other than putting them outdoor.

Maybe the gas price is finally high enough that it is more cost effective to hydro-crack the feedstock to gasoline/diesel than making engine oil. Come to think of it, all those 49c and 59c oil may be just a way for Chevron and Shell to get rid of feed stocks. So maybe those days are rally over.

Just came back from Honeymoon from Australia and New Zealand. Can't believe what I saw: AU$20 per Liter for Mobil 1 and almost AU$5 per Liter for Dino. Since US is almost the same as AU now, maybe the oil companies are exporting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back