OIl Price - Crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
went o wally world and havoline is at $2.20 a quart, up from $2.01, and supertech is at $1.58 a quart, up from $1.34 a quart... yet gas is at $2.54 a gallon. What gives.

It IS crazy! And I would know! I'd head on down to Home Depot and grab some Pennzoil! 5W20 SM and High Mileage 10W30 high mileage in SL are all still under 1.00/qt, and the Van/SUV blended syn, and PP are still going for 2.66/qt. They had a lot of QS for under a buck a Qt, too, in 5W20, 5W30, and 10W30, all of it in SL and SM. My Home Depots keep rolling that stuff out to the clearance sections and shelves for the same price as last summer. When I got to where I had dozens and dozens of every variety, I had to quit buying the stuff...

I doubt my HD has those prices, I'll have to check, but I doubt it. Heck I don't even know if they carry motor oil.

Quote:

went o wally world and havoline is at $2.20 a quart, up from $2.01, and supertech is at $1.58 a quart, up from $1.34 a quart... yet gas is at $2.54 a gallon. What gives.

Yeah, gas is $1.93 here. What's up with that?
grin.gif

spankme.gif

Lag time?
Takes weeks, if not months to acquire the basic add packages, blend the oil, package and ship.
By the time it's on the shelves, it's a few months old.
I suspect gas will go up right after the elections in Nov.
Oil prices will stop rising for a while, they will tend to even the price fluxuation out over time.
Unless it's real steal, don't buy more than you'll need/use in the next few months.
My 2¢

haven't bought oil for regular price since I joined this site. still have 100 qts of free after rebate oil or 59 cent quart deals.

oh man, you Americans need to STOP talking about oil prices. every time I see a thread like this, I go [censored]. I just don't understand why oil is so %$#*ing cheap for you guys, while a 10 minute drive across the border shows a HUGE jump in prices.

regular dino oils like Castrol GTX, Pennzoil, Quaker State, and Valvoline are all around $3.99 per qt here. hardly any less if you get the 4.4L jug, which is usually $16 for any of those brands - which comes to about $3.65 per qt.

our synthetics are WAY higher than yours. Mobil1 Extended Protection is $10.50 per qt. Mobil1 and Castrol Syntec are $8.99 per qt. Pennzoil Platinum is $6.99 per qt.

we dont even get half the brands you guys get!

its complete %$#*ing nonsense, and I dont see how it is fair at all. I dont know whats going on at the border to bring those prices up by so much over here!

Quote:

its complete %$#*ing nonsense, and I dont see how it is fair at all. I dont know whats going on at the border to bring those prices up by so much over here!

One word: Taxes.

Quote:

I suspect gas will go up right after the elections in Nov.

haha you imply that repubs have lowered the price so they don't get hit at the elections - not possible. But we will see what happens with prices, wonder if it will ever go back to $1.87 over here like it was ? ya right.

Quote:

Quote:

One word: Taxes.

You can find a deal here and there, like Syntec 4.4l is on sale at CT and Partsource for $22CDN at the moment. And WMart has had cases of Valvoline for $8 for a while.

Look for closeout oil in your area. Home Depot has Pennzoil on closeout.

I still see Havoline Synthetic for less than a buck at a few Advance Auto Parts.

GMan,

About those falling gas prices...

Haven't you heard ... there's a mid-term election coming up...;)

TS

the whole gas price dropping because of elections makes no sense - think about it, lets just say repubs somehow get it dropped to make it look like they did something about it (at the very very last minute) if the dems win the house/senate it will still go back up... who really controls the price, oil companies lowering it to favor one part over the other? naaaaw..

anyway back on topic - $1.92 is smoking! but you are in bum screwed egypt dude, out in cali we will never see those prices again.

Well, if you wanted to make the case that Karl Rove called the oil companies in to drop gasoline prices ahead of the mid-terms, well, that's ridiculous. Too many political/market forces easing the costs of recovery and refining, not to mention no Gulf Coast hurricanes thus far.

Now, if you want to make a possible case that the oil companies and OPEC look at all the "noise" regarding alternatives, about GE recovering oil from shale in Canada, about the massive increase in ethanol production, and they got together to make gasoline cheaper because of the threat to their business from alternatives, well, we can talk about that.

One another forum!
laugh.gif

Gas prices out here have fallen a whole dollar. $3.50 to $2.50/gal. (California)

As for oil - Mobil 1 is $7.26/qt and Castrol finally made it to $6.something/qt.
smile.gif
Who said stashing oil was bad? Talk about an investment.

I can get you Royal Purple synthetic for about $4 a quart (drive-out price, including taxes).

Suddenly that seems like a real bargain compared to some of the "everyday low prices" at Walmart.

Remember when ALL namebrand dino oil was $0.99 a quart at WalMart, except for supertech which was $0.74/quart.

$1.97/gallon for gasoline here in Toledo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back