oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have heard the use of a longer filter will give more oil pressure - i have did a cross reference and found a filter that will fit on my vehicle but ofcourse is longer.

will this damage my vehicles engine with the use of a longer filter?

Hi,
adibigs - It is wise to make sure that the structure, media and valving of the "filter" is similar to the one you intend to replace. Not all filters are the same.................

You should be fine so long as is is relatively similar and has the same thread size. What vehicle and what are the filter numbers?

i see no one is going to question mr adibigs reason for switching to a larger oil filter, i.e. increase oil pressure.

a physically larger oil filter with the same media material allows but does not guarantee more filter material inside thus more dirt capacity before plugging

a larger sized filter may actually reduce pre filter pressure if there is media flow resistance in the OEM size filter.

playing around with filters not spec'd by the engine manuf. can cause oil flow restriction, media breakdown and oil gallery plugging, leaks and lose of oil due to seal failure, ad naseum.

flow rate is at least as critical as pressure.
i would suggest a course in fluid dynamics.

a seized engine is not a pretty sight, more scrap for China.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, duh
33.gif
, of course, oil pressure. Easiest way to increase oil pressure is thicker oil.

adibigs - Factory or equivalent filters are best. But there were a number of cars that could use a larger filter instead, like V8 Chevys. They could use the slightly
longer truck filter for the benefit of more filtering area.
But bigger isn't always better.

And don't listen to the pompous nonsense about taking a course in fluid dynamics to address this simple question - it would not tell you what individual oil filters are made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back