oil pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
'94 Lincoln Town Car, pos with only 75K on it. Weak oil pump that has intermittent pressure (varies) and oil light comes on occasionally. I need to drive it 30 miles to the dealer. Would putting 20W50 in it increase the pressure or just strain the pump and make it worse?

Have it towed into the shop. Do not risk driving it!!!!
nono.gif
nono.gif
nono.gif

Actually, I want to bring it back to the dealer who sold it to mw two years ago and trade it in. He deserves to be stuck the way he stuck me. Lincoln is a terrible car. I have a 94 Caprice with 147K on it, and it is twice the car.

quote:

Originally posted by Studebaker:
Weak oil pump that has intermittent pressure (varies) and oil light comes on occasionally.

How did you determine the oil pump is weak vs just a bad pressure sender?

Have the car towed to with-in a mile of the dealer. Then drive it into the dealer. Loosen the bulb or wire so it looks like that is the reason it doesn't work. DO NOT remove the bulb. Because if you do remove it they would have evidence to come after you for defrauding them if that engine happens to seize on the next owner. Get the car detailed, make it look real good.
crushedcar.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Studebaker:
my mechanic checked the pressure with a gauge.

Well, depending on how much pressure you might be able to drive it moderately. The old rule of thumb is 10 psi per 1000 rpm. Don't know what it gave when the mech checked it, but if the valves aren't clattering, it may get their fine. Your decision though, I'd hate to see the engine trash itself on the way in. Could be bad pump, stuck open pump pressure relief valve, air leak in the pump pickup, sludged pickup screen, etc. Thick oil would help overcome a leak in the pickup, but would magnify the problem if it is a sludged pickup screen. The tow is probably $75 to $125.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back