oil pressure?? o and another question

Status
Not open for further replies.
is high oil pressure bad or is low oil pressure bad?? my dads car is a little under 45 according to the digital guage...i dont know why....

o if his oil been sitting there for longer than 6 months and its still clear and he only put 200 miles on the car should be changed more frequently or less?

You need "enough" oil pressure and no more. Too little and you risk engine damage and too much you're wasting energy to create pressure you dont need.

I dont know what the norm is for your dad's motor but 45psi under normal driving sounds pretty good to me.

Different engines require different oil pressures. My 3800-II should never really drop below 60psi at idle and runs around 70/75psi at cruising speed.

The LS1 V8 people see around 40psi at idle though, yet its a larger engine? Its not always pressure, flow must also be considered. The best way to know if the oil pressure is good is simply "has it always been that way?"

If it changes from the norm, something is wrong. Otherwise, its probably normal
grin.gif
45psi sounds good to me though!

so when i step on the gas and it goes high and low thats normal...just dont let it go too high?? what can be causing an increase in pressure?? the oil filter?? maybe i should upgrade from fram to bosch...i did it to my other cars.

quote:

Originally posted by Dominic:
Different engines require different oil pressures. My 3800-II should never really drop below 60psi at idle and runs around 70/75psi at cruising speed.

The LS1 V8 people see around 40psi at idle though, yet its a larger engine? Its not always pressure, flow must also be considered. The best way to know if the oil pressure is good is simply "has it always been that way?"

Automatic LS1s (and LT1s) have a lower idle oil pressure, they typically sit at 20psi (with the shifter in drive). This is because of the lower idle speed, as in drive it idles at just over 550rpm, while the 6 speed cars idle at 820rpm.

At 2000rpm, both engines/tranny combos will typically show about 40-50psi oil pressure. All these numbers are with 10w30 oil, and fully warmed up.

All good answers. Your dad's car at 45 PSI, what temp/RPM is this at?

I guess I can just add, find out what the factory says. It's published (min, max, norm...) I have even read some manuals that say a flickering red oil light (oil pressure low) at high temps is normal and don't sweat it if the light goes out with reving...this is the kind of advice I don't like to read!!!!!

EDIT => second part of the question - I would be worried about water condensation on the metal surfaces of the engine more than anything. I guess I would drive the car hot at least every month or so and change the oil at six months. (maybe a water analysis would be interesting)

[ November 17, 2002, 08:40 AM: Message edited by: Pablo ]

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
All good answers. Your dad's car at 45 PSI, what temp/RPM is this at?

I guess I can just add, find out what the factory says. It's published (min, max, norm...) I have even read some manuals that say a flickering red oil light (oil pressure low) at high temps is normal and don't sweat it if the light goes out with reving...this is the kind of advice I don't like to read!!!!!

EDIT => second part of the question - I would be worried about water condensation on the metal surfaces of the engine more than anything. I guess I would drive the car hot at least every month or so and change the oil at six months. (maybe a water analysis would be interesting)

i think its at normal average temp..between 120 and 200 something. the oil pressure is under 45 which is in the middle of the high and low pressure points...0..45...and some number. teh car is using castrol right now 10w40..i want to use mobile drive clean 10w-30 or something else at 10w30..with a bosh filter..maybe ill get differnt pressure results..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back