Oil plan for 2012 Hyundai Sonata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi BITOG,

I recently purchased a 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited (2.4) with 17K miles on it. Mother-in-law special, so priced way below market value. All previous work has been done at the dealership (including all recall work performed) and it has a fresh full syn oil change done at the dealer last month with about 300 miles on it since then. They also did a transmission flush, installed a new serpentine belt, and a brake fluid flush. This car will be driven less than 10K miles per year, maybe even less than that.

I am a little familiar with these engines being picky about oil filters (I plan to use OEM because of this is), and maybe even the oil and OCI to a lesser extent. As I am the 2nd owner of this car, I do not qualify for the 10K/10yr warranty, so I want to make sure I am being sensitive to any idiosyncrasies this car may have as it will most likely be the car my younger son takes away to college (if and when he needs one) and drives after graduation.

I'm thinking an OEM oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 every 5K miles or 1 year (whichever comes first) is a good safe plan for this car. Any issues with this? I'm open to suggestions if someone has a proven system with this engine.

Originally Posted by Ddub
Hi BITOG,

I'm thinking an OEM oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 every 5K miles or 1 year (whichever comes first) is a good safe plan for this car. Any issues with this?

Good plan imo.

Have owned four Kias and a Hyundai and had excellent luck with all of them. Most did not get to the dealer for service and I've never had a non-OEM oil filter give me any kind of start up rattle or other failure. I believe Hyundai got into some Magnuson-Moss trouble for over pushing dealer service. I think the dipstick color will tell you whether the car was inspected or had its engine replaced.

I'm currently running MaxLife on a Hertz rental purchase and it's burning absolutely no oil and everything looks really clean. I'm coming up on its 6000 mile oil change and will probably continue with 5-20 at least until I change in the spring.

My girlfriend just purchased a '17 Optima with the 2.4 from Hertz and I'm recommending she run 7K on her first oil change probably getting a 5-30 $35 Edge change at Wally World. Her oil looks pretty good but have no idea what's in it or when it was changed and 7K will run her around to 50K at which point we can make another decision on change interval and oil. She doesn't drive nearly as much so the 5w30 will probably last til warm weather.

Think I ran 5w20 for 100K on my last Kia GDI--a '13 Rio with the 1.4. Five thousand mile change interval, Kendall semi-syn at Firestone til they dropped it for OS conventional, then various $20 VWB quick lube changes. I live in a condo which forbids working on your car plus I'M OLD!, so haven't changed my own in twenty years. Were I younger and able to do my own thing I'd probably pick up a cheap synthetic.

Both on purchase oil changes were over filled. Whether this was sloppiness or Hertz's plan to make sure there was oil in it for a prolonged change I don't know. Ten years ago I would have freaked out about an extra quart but there was no hint of frothing on the dipstick. I now suspect that if an extra quart would off an engine that there'd be lots of destroyed hardware out there. My first change was right on the max mark on the dipstick and it's stayed there, no hint of fuel in the oil, although I'm not going to pay for analysis.

You may qualify for the 10 year 120k extended engine warranty under recall:

2013 Engine Seizures/Failures 2.4L & 2.0T

As part of that recall, Hyundai is trying to inspect all the Sonata 2.4L & 2.0T engines manufactured in the 2011- April 2012 engines involved in the recall. Any engine found to be defective due to bad rod bearings will be replaced under warranty with a new long block engine. In addition, Hyundai is providing an extended warranty of 10 years or 120,000 miles for engine internals.

Only other thing I would do is check the oil level often.

Sounds like a good plan.

Yes even though you're the 2nd owner the engine is covered for 10 years/120k miles (or 130k?).

Pay attention to if it pings while accelerating, might need a higher octane of fuel. Pretty common with these engines. Mine needs at least 89 octane.

Originally Posted by csandste
Also think the replacement dipsticks were re-calibrated to hold another half quart or so.

I think that the dipsticks are also magnet, to detect when failure is pending

I am a little familiar with these engines being picky about oil filters (I plan to use OEM because of this is), and maybe even the oil and OCI to a lesser extent.
I'm thinking an OEM oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 every 5K miles or 1 year (whichever comes first) is a good safe plan for this car. Any issues with this? I'm open to suggestions if someone has a proven system with this engine.
How is this engine 'picky' about oil filters? Haven't heard that. Fram Ultra XG9688 oil filter is the best choice and cheap at walmart or amazon. Other oil filters, like Royal Purple, Amsoil Ea0, and Wix are also decent. Just avoid Purolators for their reputation for getting holes in them inside.

Castrol Edge as you've cited, or their Magnatec, would be a good choice. Any dexos1 oil you find covers the toughest specs in this HTHS >2.9 category ILSAC oil. ... You could go with the cheapest dexo1 Gen2, because it meets the tougher spec, on the shelf at walmart, which is SuperTech 5w30 full synthetic (Warren PP makes it; same as Mag1 oil, etc.).

The recalled engine problems on this engine can't be solved by any particular oil brand since it was based on metal particles getting loose inside.

If you wanted to go upper-tier oils within the SN GF5 dexos1 category, mail order Ravenol DXG or Schaeffer, or get Mobil1 Annual Protection. Hard to say if the $10-$20 extra per oil change would be worth it over a Magnatec though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SatinSilver
OP,

What color is the handle on the dipstick?

I just double checked and it is orange. I'm pretty sure that is the new one. Fill level is exactly in the middle of the L and F.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
I am a little familiar with these engines being picky about oil filters (I plan to use OEM because of this is), and maybe even the oil and OCI to a lesser extent.
How is this engine 'picky' about oil filters? Haven't heard that. Fram Ultra XG9688 oil filter is the best choice and cheap at walmart or amazon. Other oil filters, like Royal Purple, Amsoil Ea0, and Wix are also decent. Just avoid Purolators for their reputation for getting holes in them inside.

Castrol Edge as you've cited, or their Magnatec, would be a good choice. Any dexos1 oil you find covers the toughest specs in this HTHS >2.9 category ILSAC oil. ... You could go with the cheapest dexo1 Gen2, because it meets the tougher spec, on the shelf at walmart, which is SuperTech 5w30 full synthetic (Warren PP makes it; same as Mag1 oil, etc.).

The recalled engine problems on this engine can't be solved by any particular oil brand since it was based on metal particles getting loose inside.

If you wanted to go upper-tier oils within the SN GF5 dexos1 category, mail order Ravenol DXG or Schaeffer, or get Mobil1 Annual Protection. Hard to say if the $10-$20 extra per oil change would be worth it over a Magnatec though.

Fran Ultra would be my first pick (that's what I have in the Mazda), but it is well documented that Hyundai strongly recommends their brand of oil filter for this particular engine to avoid a clicking or knocking sound. I don't completely understand why, but I'm good with it if is a decent filter and is cost competitive, which it seems to be.

Nothing wrong with the OEM filter and Castrol Edge 5w30 for 5k
smile.gif

I think yellow was the original color. Orange was checked for any engine noise and red if there was. Then they wait till it blows up :).

The OEM filter thing is at least 10 years old if not more but it just won't die. While the OEM filters are just fine you don't have to use them at all on the newer Hyundai/KIA vehicles. We have two in our family, a 12 KIA Sedona and a 15 KIA Soul for a total of about 140k of self maintenance so far. All on Fram and Napa filters without the slightest issue.

*Good plan except the OEM filter is noting special - the FRAM Ultra Oil Filter (I believe XG9688) should be on your short list as well ... Check your oil every other fill up of gas and don't let it get low .
Originally Posted by Danno
Hi BITOG,

I'm thinking an OEM oil filter and Castrol Edge 5W-30 every 5K miles or 1 year (whichever comes first) is a good safe plan for this car. Any issues with this?

Good plan imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back