Oil Pan Rust On F 350

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spoke to my son in law today and he tells me his oil pan has rusted through on his truck. It's a work truck only, but for a 2003 it seems a little strange. Does anyone know if this a cronic problem with these trucks. It's a diesel.

Thanks in advance.

not a chronic problem. does it see off-road duty? or something that would have scratched up the pan?

I rusted out an oil pan on my Jeep - the pan actually started to leak oil through the rust on the bottom! in my case, if was alot of off-roading that scratched up and pan and started it rusting.

It is his work truck and does see a lot of off road duty. He has a tree spade which is a hard pull in soft dirt. May drive over short brush at times.

At my workplace, we had one rust out on our F 250 ('97)at about 8 years old and we were told it happens quite frequently.

We knew that it was going to be replaced soon and one dealer had a procedure to epoxy coat the pan exterior for about $200 and he gave a 1 year guarantee. Otherwise it was an astronomical figure to put a new pan on.

How much will yours cost?

This is a common problem. I read somewhere on the internet that ford used a poor vendor that used a cheap paint/process. There is an epoxy paint that supposedly does a good job. To change the pan I also read the motor needs to be removed from the mounts a lifted. I'm sure it's in excess of 1,000 to 1,500 for sure.

i paid 1300$ to replace the oil pan in my econoline.
never buying ford again.

compared to my dodge colt: pan costs 50$. labour - another 50$.
and i only replaced it because i wanted a brand new one that the oil pan heater would stick to properly.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink

Was it the diesel?

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
never buying ford again.

compared to my dodge colt: pan costs 50$. labour - another 50$.
and i only replaced it because i wanted a brand new one that the oil pan heater would stick to properly.

You are comparing the oil pan job on a full-sized van to a small economy car? I can do the one on my Mustang in the driveway by dropping the motor mount bolts, does that make it better than your Colt?

Come on, that is hardly a great comparison......

just to let anyone know, to properly do the oil pan on a powerstroke you have to pull the motor. it can be done in vehicle, but to make sure any seal is correct it has to be completely out, that is why labor is so high.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
just to let anyone know, to properly do the oil pan on a powerstroke you have to pull the motor. it can be done in vehicle, but to make sure any seal is correct it has to be completely out, that is why labor is so high.

This is what my son in law said. He was quoted a price of $1700. Had it patched with apoxy. May not hold.

Are the pans of Ford or International origin?

The oil pan is the lowest point, and salts/water will collect there an do there damage.
A newer vehicle like a 2003 deserves a new pan, but you can clean and dry the holes and surrounding area, epoxy a patch with JB quick weld and a metal plate, and then Rustoleum paint it.

It's a well-known problem for the old Crown Vic and Marquis V8s, so I guess the problem is prevalent among all Ford V8s. I just threw some rustproofing on my oil pan this week. It's quite rusty. I don't want to have to replace it.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
It's a well-known problem for the old Crown Vic and Marquis V8s, so I guess the problem is prevalent among all Ford V8s. I just threw some rustproofing on my oil pan this week. It's quite rusty. I don't want to have to replace it.

The Mustangs don't have the issue...... Though my Townie had to have it's pan replaced. Not a big deal in that car.

the engineering number is an International number, not a Ford engineering number.

So then this is not a "Ford" issue, per se
wink.gif

Would be interesting to know if the bus and truck chassis these engines were also fitted to have the same issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back