Oil Pan Plug Problem

How tight should a oil pan plug be?

Asking for a friend who works at Jiffy Lube...

[Linked Image]

I see a dot between the 4 and the 8. Means 4.8 unga-dungas. To get past 4.0 one usually has to rap it with a hammer so as to make sure it's exceeded one guttentight.

guys, no wonder the bolt was torqued too tight!, for lubricated bolts you have to reduce the torque spec by 30%, so 3.2 ish unga-dungas....

I'd definitely rely on advice from Jiffy Lube guys. My neighbors oil filter fell off after they did the oil change.
OH, we'll put in a new engine....
UH, no we won't it only knocks a little bit.....

I use a 6" long wrench, pull it "kinda" tight and give it a open hand smack. Never had a leak in 50 some years changing oil.

Originally Posted by Trav
That looks about right. Who needs a stinkin torque wrench for an oil drain plug.

We don't need a stinking torque wrench.

I imagine every oil drain plug is going into an aluminium casting weather it is or not. I bottom them out and then just a little more unless they use a crushable washer and then just enough to feel it compress. I have never had one come out or leak in 50 years of doing my own changes.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
How tight should a oil pan plug be?

Asking for a friend who works at Jiffy Lube...

[Linked Image]

What the What ?

That's ridiculous. I can see stress cracks from 10:00 to 1:00 on the remaining metal. Did they use impact?

I realize this is the humor forum, but I'd like to point out that this is a cast pan and they can shatter when they hit something, like a speedbump. Might it just be possible that a) yes some Iffy Lube person overtightened it, but also b) someone hit something, cracking the pan, thus leading to 3) it falling apart?

I like a good Iffy Lube bash as much as anyone else, but the threads should have stripped out before this level of carnage. Methinks something else is to blame here.

Back