oil pan pick up o ring

Hi

I have an 07 gmc sierra 1500 6.0 4x4 and the oil pressure is in low range and it needs and a new o ring and cleaned screen.

I do all the work on this truck and dealer wants 1500$ is it a pain the ass and something I can do or recommend taking to the dealer?

Most mechanics would do this easily but it does take time. He’ll have to drop the front axle ( not hard for an experienced mechanic with a lift). Tell us more about how your pressure reacts. Also, search O ring issues with LS engines on this website. There is a ton of info. I heard one poor boy check is to park on a downhill grade. Add two quarts of cheap Dino. The oil level is supposed to cover the O ring and the pressure would come back up. It it comes up, it’s the O ring.

Most mechanics would do this easily but it does take time. He’ll have to drop the front axle ( not hard for an experienced mechanic with a lift). Tell us more about how your pressure reacts. Also, search O ring issues with LS engines on this website. There is a ton of info. I heard one poor boy check is to park on a downhill grade. Add two quarts of cheap Dino. The oil level is supposed to cover the O ring and the pressure would come back up. It it comes up, it’s the O ring.
okay, the oil pressure sensor isn’t on but the oil pressure is lower then it’s every been probably around 19 when warmed up idling!

I am pretty sure I have to do the one in my truck, but thankfully it is a 2WD. The 4WD ones are a pain because of the front axle. Depending on the miles on the truck maybe consider one of the Melling oil pumps while you are in there?

okay, the oil pressure sensor isn’t on but the oil pressure is lower then it’s every been probably around 19 when warmed up idling!
That’s not terrible. What is it going down the road?

I had the pan off my 09 Suburban with four wheel drive in my driveway. Wasn't too awful. I probably did the whole job in about five hours.

I am pretty sure I have to do the one in my truck, but thankfully it is a 2WD. The 4WD ones are a pain because of the front axle. Depending on the miles on the truck maybe consider one of the Melling oil pumps while you are in there?
Piece of cake on the old sbc. LS needs the timing cover off but if you have the pan off already...

Also on some LS engines there is a finger screen under the oil pressure sensor that gets clogged and will cause low oil pressure reading.
Good point but I have heard on this website that the 6.0 does not have this screen. ( OP has the 6.0). It was just on LS engines with AFM such as many 5.3 engines. Useful info for Gman2304. Correct me if I’m wrong. :)

My 2005 doesn’t have the oil pressure sensor screen. Only 2007 and up with AFM have the screen. Thanks to this thread I’ve been inspired to pull the oil pan on my 5.3 2 wd and replace the oil pickup Oring. New oem pan gasket and Oring should be here tomorrow. I’m hoping it will eliminate my cold start rattle on start up as well.

Last edited:
Back