Oil pan marks cx9

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are small black specks all over the pan, yes one directly in the left mark. The whole thing is the same dull gray aluminum finish, wouldn't drilling create a difference in coloring, unless it's always was there .

The more I look at it the weirder it looks. Definitely looks like something a rotating bit would make,and both marks are completely symmetrical. I say there's no way that's a factory defect,it just looks too perfect and too intentional.

My MOM told me "If you had nothing nice to say, don't say anything".

I can't say a nice word about this, so I am not going to say anything.

If I say what is in my mind I may be on vacation for months.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SavagePatch
Originally Posted By: SumpChump
Originally Posted By: COBB715
If it is a damaged from factory, Im worried that other issues are hidden.

This could have even been two 19year old techs that do the underbody spray actually "daring" each other. Guys [censored] around like that sometimes if they are lower on the power chain.

I really respect your opinion and enjoy your posts but this is just typical fear mongering of "stealerships".

Thanks for your kind words. I'm And I apologize for letting my emotions get ahold of me there. I have just had such poor experience at two different manufacturers dealerships in this regional market of about 150k people. Oil overfilled by a quart on two separate vehicles two separate days. Grease stains un willing to admit to. Engine revving. Hood slamming. All on new cars.

But that doesn't excuse my running derogatory imaginary scenarios.

Honestly I really do think though that those drill marks are made by skilled person.

There are small black specks all over the pan, yes one directly in the left mark. The whole thing is the same dull gray aluminum finish, wouldn't drilling create a difference in coloring, unless it's always was there .

Over 4 months it would age and the finish becomes similar.

Whoa, it's factory? What's the purpose. Those pictures are definitely the same spots, my marks are just a bit deeper.

Might be for stress relief to prevent cracking, or for some aspect of machine assembly, such as a grab point or optical sensor alignment target.

Those marks look like they're the work of CNC or some other automated, robotic means. They look similar to the holes made in flywheels/harmonic balancers, etc to balance them, if that makes sense. I know there's obviously no reason to 'balance' an oil pan but hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about.

The marks look way too dead on to be made by a human being with a handheld drill. I can't imagine this being sabotage or anything of the sort. If it was, what was the point? The car doesn't appear to be losing any oil from that spot. Is the idea that the aluminum will eventually corrode in that area and make a pinhole, thus a slow leak?

Last edited:
Whoa, it's factory? What's the purpose. Those pictures are definitely the same spots, my marks are just a bit deeper.

Perhaps some Edge or MKV owners can chime in? I'll check my CX-9 tomorrow.

look like the flow in of the cast was machined off ! nothing to worry about it was probably a half inch before and they machined off they probably forgot to treat it at factory so it look like the rest caSTING HOLE ARE NORMAL otherwise you would need to call nascar and ak them to make you one

Couple of grease bay guys didn't drill those on a dare, no way, and his girlfriend's husband didn't do that at night in the dark either. If it shows on other CX9s no issue, if it doesn't show maybe still no issue.

After seeing the pictures from 'Paul's Travel pics' which show very similar marking in almost the identical area, I would have to say those marks were made at the factory.....Why?....I have no idea.

Your's look a little deeper so I would probably dab a bit of epoxy or JBWeld on it and forget it....I would, however, point it out to the dealer and question the purpose of such marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back