Oil pan gaskets remade - alter OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The oil pan gaskets were remade with RTV sealant on my Pathfinder about 300 miles ago. I have read that this can leech silicon into the oil. Should I alter my OCI in any way due to this? I'm using whatever AAMCO provided (I believe AAP house-brand 5W-30 + Fram filter) currently. I plan to change it out in about 2 to 2.5k miles, probably using PYB 5W-30 SM and a PL14610.

I wouldn't be concerned with reducing your oil change interval due the the use of RTV. If you perform a used oil analysis, the results would show higher ppm of silicon, but that's about it.

No need for concern.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It's Si, but not wearing type, it's not like sand and grit.

+1 Run your normal OCI and check for leaks.

Some RTVs do indeed use silicone. And this is the type that DOES harm O2 sensors and maybe cats.
But many modern RTVs are labeled 'sensor safe' and are perfectly fine to use.
The fact that they say 'sensor safe' indicates a previous problem.

Who knows what sauce you put on your car? It may be fine, or potentially problematic.

I did have rear O2 sensor codes (P0158/P0159 - max voltage monitoring/response monitoring, respectively) pop up halfway through a 30-mile highway trip. I cleared it and it hasn't returned yet, or at least hasn't thrown a CEL yet. Could the RTV be the cause? I have no idea what type the shop used. I think it was grey in color. My oxygen sensors are all original I believe, at 128.5k miles, so that may have something to do with it. I use premium fuel, always 93 octane.

What I don't understand is how can an oil pan's RTV gasket material somehow foul an 02 sensor?

Okay, so some is washed in the oil for a couple intervals...what then? Exhaust fumes suddenly filled with 02 deadly chemicals?? Really???

Just seems funny to me, but I'm a noob...and yes, I agree with mechtech's point. There has to be a previous problem for newer products to label themselves 'sensor safe'.

I used some Ultra Grey on my replacement Oil Pressure Switch the other week, since HondaBond wasn't handy. It advertised clearly about being sensor safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back