Oil on Spark Plug (pic heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan_FX4

$50 Site Donor 2022
Hi all, I was hoping to get folk's thoughts on whether these plugs look acceptable for 55k of use, and more specifically about what would cause oil to get onto the plug from the #5 cylinder. These plugs came out of a 5.4 3V Ford with 164k miles.

Not all of the plugs are pictured, as one had been changed about a month ago and I have two still left to change.

Those are the ultra-funkiest, weirdest looking plugs I've ever seen.

Why the basket-handle ground electrode?

They look to be in great shape to me.

The oil you can see on the second plug from the left is just oil that has dripped down into the spark plug well. Very common on hemi-type and DOHC engines, nothing to worry about.

Originally Posted By: Tegger

The 04-mid08 3V motors used those plugs. They are the ones that break off in the head if they are not removed using the proper procedure.

These plugs are certainly different than anything else I've used. I think Ford's reasoning was that it would increase combustion efficiency for better fuel economy.

Cardenio327 thanks for the quick reply.
I didn't know whether this was something to be worried about or not, as I've never had oil on any spark plugs that I pulled out of a modern engine.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal

The 04-mid08 3V motors used those plugs. They are the ones that break off in the head if they are not removed using the proper procedure.

They break apart in head alot of times using the so called correct procedure (ford only changed it a few times), and the above posting by the guy showing them in one piece is fairly rare and he is very lucky. The reason those plugs are so small on the tip is to fit between the valves, it is a tight fit. We always install the Champion one piece plug part #7989 if you go on youtube and put in champion 7989 they made a very good video. Many companies make tools to remove all the broken parts from these little devils.

Last edited:

Curious, I did some digging and found this Ford TSB:
http://media2.wcpo.com/pdfs/FORD1st.PDF

I know all automakers occasionally come out with some really awful designs, but who signs-off on them prior to adoption and why? Did the signer-offer just look at it and say, "Ahh, it'll be OK"?

Walk23, I'll have to wait and see if there is any improvement as I just pulled these this afternoon. However, the last time they were changed I didn't see any noticeable increase in mpg.

Vssjim, I have changed these plugs once already at 107k with the redesigned SP-515s and hi-temp nickel anti-seize, that's why the plugs didn't break. The first time around didn't go near as smooth, I had 5 plugs break and had to use the Lisle plug extractor.

ouch!
thats why i would never buy an American.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster

ouch!

Yeah because foriegn car makers don't have any issues huh? You are living in a bubble.

It varies depending on how much city driving I do, but lately it's averaged 1qt./3000 miles. I do think the PCV valve needs changed, but that's another project as it's a one piece unit with the driver side valve cover.

Originally Posted By: Bobbb
How much oil does the truck consume, white tips = burning oil.

Yes, the white residue could be ash from oil additives, but it could also be ash from fuel additives.

1 quart per 3,000 miles is nothing to be concerned about.

ouch!

Is this comment necessary or even relevant? Take a hike.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

ouch!

Is this comment necessary or even relevant? Take a hike.

No kidding. I'm not sure what one has to do with the other.
I guess those foreign automobiles don't have any issues either?
Absurd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back