Oil Newby - Looking for help deciding if this oil is good for making my GDI engine last

If you're worried about carbon on the intake valves then I suggest doing the preventative maintenance of running a can of CRC IVD Intake Valve & Turbo Cleaner or a similar cleaner every other oil change or every oil change if you feel so inclined.

Is this particular Kia engine known to carbon up the intake valves?

If it's an engine known to load the engine oil with soot and/or fuel, I'd try for a low NOAC oil and not extend drain interval too far.
it's a new engine for them (as I understand they boared out a 3.3 liter they had) but the engine being Atkinson cycle should help with carbon building as I read

"the intake valve remains open during part of the compression stroke, pushing some of the air/fuel mixture back into the intake"

I think you are woried about a "what if" that may never be a real issue. Use a good name brand oil that meets your engine requirements, change oil at the manufacture requirement and enjoy your vehicle rather than worrying about things.

You will be fine running 5w30 year round and stick with a 5/6 K OCI. I run 5w30 and a 5K OCI on my 2.0T GDI. ;)

5W-30 should be fine year 'round. I would just follow the Kia severe service schedule of 3750 miles.

I haven’t used the Kirkland oil but I always buy the products I know which would be Castrol it will be fine to use in your GDI vehicle.

Yeah thanks for asking, when commuting to work, it's gonna be mostly freeway with some street traffic to get onto/from the freeway to my destination. Is there additives I should see about adding if I do start driving more in the street but I have Kirkland oil in there?

Nah, the freeway is good for both the engine and the oil. Sounds like the Kirkland oil will be more than fine for this commUte.... :)

Back