Oil Manufacturer Data Sheets - compliance codes means safe to use??

Thanks, but that issue was one of glycol contamination in an ATF which had nothing to do with Amsoil's specification coverage.

Right. But it has to do with Chrysler or whoever denying blame stating that an improper lubricant was used. Maybe I’m mistaken

Did you read the thread they had about the legal dispute, and issues between Amsoil and ZF? I doubt this is "hypothetical."
There was no legal dispute between Amsoil and ZF in that previous thread exchange, so let's get the info correct. The legal dispute was between the OP and Chrysler, et. al.

And the OP of that previous exchange is the same OP in this thread.

...Transmission whine developed approximately 20k kms. At 24k kms, I pulled an oil sample and had tested. GLYCOL contamination from the factory, Lab ALERT to change oil and filter! Discussed lab result with dealership...

...Yes, I have the data sheet and specific AMSOIL letter head document specifically addresses their ATF is equivalent to Mopar 8-9 ATF...

According to the previous thread, it was allegedly glycol contamination that ruined the transmission. I know of no chemistry in an ATF that contains glycol.

So I am not sure what the OP hopes to accomplish in this thread. The issue supposedly went to legal status which is why I locked the previous thread, and I tend not to think his question is 'hypothetical.'

Last edited:
There was no legal dispute between Amsoil and ZF in that previous thread exchange, so let's get the info correct. The legal dispute was between the OP and Chrysler, et. al.

And the OP of that previous exchange is the same OP in this thread.

...Transmission whine developed approximately 20k kms. At 24k kms, I pulled an oil sample and had tested. GLYCOL contamination from the factory, Lab ALERT to change oil and filter! Discussed lab result with dealership...

...Yes, I have the data sheet and specific AMSOIL letter head document specifically addresses their ATF is equivalent to Mopar 8-9 ATF...

According to the previous thread, it was allegedly glycol contamination that ruined the transmission. I know of no chemistry in an ATF that contains glycol.

So I am not sure what the OP hopes to accomplish in this thread. The issue supposedly went to legal status which is why I locked the previous thread, and I tend not to think his question is 'hypothetical.'
Yeah, you’re right.

The wording in this statement by the OP is not quite correct. The word "equivalent" would infer the chemistry of an aftermarket ATF is an exact copy of the original ATF, in this case, the formulation developed for the ZF 8,9, etc. This is never the case in reality.

Blenders languages usually specifically state, "...is recommended for transmissions and other APPLICATIONS THAT REQUIRE ANY OF THE FOLLOWING SPECIFICATIONS:..."

A recommendation basically says, "this fluid will PERFORM satisfactorily in the recommended list of transmissions."

So it is a performance recommendation, not an exact chemistry replacement.

I think a lot of people are misinformed as to what constitutes a 'recommendation' for a 'specification', and what constitutes the exact formulation of a fluid.

Last edited:
Chrysler has already told me ZF does not approve of AMSOIL’s published specifications (Chrysler/Mopar codes) on their data sheet that meet or exceed the Mopar 8/9 oil
You weren't clear as to who made this statement; was it Chrysler corporate (from a Chrysler document) or some Service person in a dealership?

Last edited:
Back