Oil Loss Q?

Member JLTD gave me (3) gallons of 5W30 Amsoil SS (Thank You JLTD). My son did an OCI to my F150 (6 qts.) and his F150 (7 qts. he bought an extra qt. of Amsoil SS) in June 2020. His lost about 3/4 qt. in 7K miles. I checked my oil today and it's down about 1/4 qt. in about 2.5K miles. My truck has NEVER lost oil before this Amsoil OCI. And, my sons truck has NEVER lost oil either before the Amsoil OCI. Is it POSSIBLE that the Amsoil is causing the loss? If so, how? Both trucks are not leaking oil and there is no oil being burned either. My sons truck has 80K miles and mine has 159K.

I switched over a vehicle to Amsoil that had 105k, it used a little the first couple of changes then stopped.

What oils had you guys been using?

Also, are the intervals you are running longer than what you ran before? The engines could use a little which wasn't noticed on the short interval but which became obvious when running further.

Changing chemistry can cause consumption, which often tapers off. That said, I had wild consumption (much higher than you are experiencing) on SS 0w-30 and it disappeared entirely when I ran Mobil 1 0w-30. I tried it on multiple OCI's and the consumption was nuts, so I had to stop using it.

I switched over a vehicle to Amsoil that had 105k, it used a little the first couple of changes then stopped.

What oils had you guys been using?

Also, are the intervals you are running longer than what you ran before? The engines could use a little which wasn't noticed on the short interval but which became obvious when running further.
I had been using Havoline 5W20 synthetic 6 qt. box prior to this OCI.
My son was using MC 5W30 SB.
I usually do 3-5K mile OCI's. My son does 5K mile OCl's.

Changing chemistry can cause consumption, which often tapers off. That said, I had wild consumption (much higher than you are experiencing) on SS 0w-30 and it disappeared entirely when I ran Mobil 1 0w-30. I tried it on multiple OCI's and the consumption was nuts, so I had to stop using it.
I'm going back to Havoline.
I'm thinking you're correct about the Amsoil and the consumption.
That's definitely one of those things that makes you go Hmmmm...... :unsure:

While I have absolutely no consumption on my Escape running AMSOIL SS 0W-30. Strange.

While I have absolutely no consumption on my Escape running AMSOIL SS 0W-30. Strange.
Indeed. Aside from that exception I listed, no change to losses in any vehicle.

Well it's a good thing I'm using Schaeffer now :)

Yeah, and it doesn't consume in my Honda outboard either. But in our old Expedition, I went through like 4 quarts in an OCI, a couple of times.

Back