oil loss or gain

so i,ve seen this before but can,t find,, have 2017 jeep cherokee 2.4 eng,, if i check oil after driving wait 15 min,s or so its on the full mark wait til the next morning and is 1/2 qt low i,ve done this many times for old geezers it makes no sense but is a fact,, and have seen where others have had the same results,,,does oil expand that much? when hot,, just wondering. and please for all the hero,s yes its level yes dip stick is all the way down and all the other stuff,, thx jc

automatic transmissions... hot vs cold mark for oil levels...
you,re right tran,s at least used to have hot and cold marks,,, but they hold at least twice as much if not more than a oil pan so i was kinda amazed at how much 5 qt,s can expand and i don,t recall this ever coming up except in the last few yr,s had a chevy colorado and it checked the same hot or cold now have cherokee 2.4 eng, and it shows qt low in am, after warming its less than 1/2 qt. low as i said just curious thx

Lots of commas, I remember you. But look at these, there are more:

so i,ve seen this before but can,t find,, have 2017 jeep cherokee 2.4 eng,, if i check oil after driving wait 15 min,s or so its on the full mark wait til the next morning and is 1/2 qt low i,ve done this many times for old geezers it makes no sense but is a fact,, and have seen where others have had the same results,,,does oil expand that much? when hot,, just wondering. and please for all the hero,s yes its level yes dip stick is all the way down and all the other stuff,, thx jc
Yes liquids do expand with heat,,, approx 5% I've heard. But personally I have never seen a noticeable difference in my oil sumps,,, or in my cups of coffee fresh out of the microwave,,,,,, or any other hot vs cold liquid example where a difference could be noticed. Go figure.
By the way,,, "1/2 quart low" means the level is below the add mark. If the oil level is between the add and full marks,,,,,, it is not low.

oh oh,,, a comma cop,, yes i,,ve seen those again as i said just curious,,,,,i got a pocket ful

It’s been talked about many times here but to keep it simple no oil was lost nor was any gained. It is simply somewhere else inside the engine.

A simple oil check first thing in the morning before you start is the best way to check oil.

thx looked thru but most are 10 to 15 yr,s old with newer engines and advent of synthetic oils and zero weight with all the reading i,ve done on web sites here and overseas and same engines the common thing seems to be in the US its all about fuel mileage they have the same weather extremes in other countries as we do and still use heavier oils and dino on top of it. as far as my question on why there seems to be more oil after warming up than in am the only answer is expansion i guess

thx looked thru but most are 10 to 15 yr,s old with newer engines and advent of synthetic oils and zero weight with all the reading i,ve done on web sites here and overseas and same engines the common thing seems to be in the US its all about fuel mileage they have the same weather extremes in other countries as we do and still use heavier oils and dino on top of it. as far as my question on why there seems to be more oil after warming up than in am the only answer is expansion i guess
Please. The coefficient of expansion of motor oil has not changed in 10 to 15 years and there is no “zero weight” motor oil. The rest of your post has nothing to do with what you are observing or not observing.

Please. The coefficient of expansion of motor oil has not changed in 10 to 15 years and there is no “zero weight” motor oil. The rest of your post has nothing to do with what you are observing or not observing.
must have missed something on my dip stick it plainly says 0w 20 unless they have changed what zero means. last i knew it meant 0 nothing as far as rest of posts they had nothing to do with what i asked and i,m sure with your great wisdom you will come up with a reason there is no such thing as zero can hardly wait

on my dip stick it plainly says 0w 20 unless they have changed what zero means.
The consensus is that the "w" in 0w means "winter" (not weight!), i.e. the oil has less than a maximum spec viscosity at a cold temperature, like you'd encounter in the winter.

Here's what Valvoline says about the "W" rating ... if they don't know what the "W" means, then nobody does.

capture-jpg.53066

It’s been talked about many times here but to keep it simple no oil was lost nor was any gained. It is simply somewhere else inside the engine.

A simple oil check first thing in the morning before you start is the best way to check oil.
Actually best way is to read the manual. Many newer cars have dipsticks calibrated for hot, including mine.

must have missed something on my dip stick it plainly says 0w 20 unless they have changed what zero means. last i knew it meant 0 nothing as far as rest of posts they had nothing to do with what i asked and i,m sure with your great wisdom you will come up with a reason there is no such thing as zero can hardly wait
The winter rating (the number before the "W") is a performance specification. Nearly any grade can carry this specification since you can see oils with everything from 0W-40 to 15W-40, all of which are a 40-grade oil.

Nothing quite so misunderstood on here as what the winter rating means and what it does not mean. There are no "zero weight" oils either cold or hot.

Actually best way is to read the manual. Many newer cars have dipsticks calibrated for hot, including mine.
A few years back … OEM’s actually did that for something called a transmission dipstick …
(checked in Park, engine hot) Wind forward:
“Progress” is having to go through a gear shifting ritual with a laptop under the vehicle … 😡

A few years back … OEM’s actually did that for something called a transmission dipstick …
(checked in Park, engine hot) Wind forward:
“Progress” is having to go through a gear shifting ritual with a laptop under the vehicle … 😡
I'm definitely unhappy with how complicated it is to service modern automatic transmissions. I'm lucky my 2016 even has a drain plug and fill port in non idiotic locations.

Back