Oil longevity

Status
Not open for further replies.
I appreciate all the feedback. I thought I would respond to a few of the comments.

Regarding selling the truck, I have thought of this before. However, years ago I invested some into the engine and transmission (e.g. 160cc injectors, John Wood stage-1 4R100 transmission) I use to drive the truck more back then. Since the truck is old, I don't know that I can get much money back for it so I decided to keep it for now. Other than occasional cold starting drama which the 5w40 seems to help with, the engine runs well.

I do have to periodically pull the batteries. I actually did that yesterday as they were both very low. I have each one charging with my battery tender. I like to keep the fuel level at 50% or higher to minimize condensation buildup and add the diesel clean additive to the fuel with each fill up.

The truck is located outside as it is too long to fit in the garage. Living at a mountain town, we do sometimes get a wide fluctuation in weather conditions where one day it is 60F and sunny and the next day it is 20F with heavy snow.

I run the Motorcraft FL1995 oil filter. I read this is a good one to go with but if there is a better one, I am open for suggestions on that. This is a huge filter as I think it holds around 2 quarts of oil.

Seems like a good set up to get a UOA on, imo. It may save you time and money, or it may show you that you need to spend that extra time and money on earlier oil changes.

If it was me, I'd get a UOA done at 2 years on that and just go from there. Rotella is a long lasting oil, the TBN always looks good in UOA's, so I wouldn't worry one bit about leaving it in there for 2 years with the small amount of driving you do, and just seeing what's up at that point.

As long as it gets up to operating temp to long enough to evaporate the water out of the oil, it should last years. I'd just let it idle at least an hour every couple weeks and call it good.

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
As long as it gets up to operating temp to long enough to evaporate the water out of the oil, it should last years. I'd just let it idle at least an hour every couple weeks and call it good.

Idling it is worse than not starting it. Oil temps will never come up enough without some work.

I have several engines/trucks that sit without running for months on end and couldn't agree more that letting one idle is the worst thing one can do. When its needed fire it up and use it, when its not needed just forget about it. I live in the great lakes region, boats are hauled out every fall and sit throughout the winter, usually 6 months or longer.

On my seldom used trucks I usually change the oil every 5 years, with a '48 Ford, '62 Chevy , and a WWII surplus Chrysler industrial 6 on a 4" fire pump among others. Everything when needed is run and all is original, never pulled down for anything and they all have been here since at least the late 60's as thats as far as I can remember.

As long as you get 15-20 mile runs whenever you start it, that oil should be good for years. I would suspect that at only 200 miles this year it still might look pretty clean on the dip stick. I agree with the UOA (whether at 1 or 2 yrs) as it will answer all your questions.

Originally Posted By: NVRENUFF
I'd just let it idle at least an hour every couple weeks and call it good.

That's terrible advice, especially considering he resides in Flagstaff.

It is indeed a keeper - company had those beasts - just figure out how to use it a bit more (to heat up for a few miles) and a couple years is easy for good lube like that, Delo, or Delvac.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back