Oil Life Monitor question

Status
Not open for further replies.
The OLM for my 2017 Pacifica states that it measures short trips and temps. Does it take into account how much moisture could be getting in the oil over a winter? I changed it last fall and it's only at 50%. After a full winter I tend to want to get that oil out of the crank case. Give that it's at 50% would any of you just keep on driving till it gets closer to 20 or 20%....?

Moisture? no, it's an algorithm and with that algorithm they may try to duplicate parameters in which moisture would/could be formed (along with other things) like mileage, time, temperatures, driving conditions, warmups, short trips, etc.

And I'd probably feel comfortable driving it till 30%-20% depending on mileage.

Oil is cheap. Change it and feel all warm and fuzzy.
cheers3.gif

36.gif

now that I am taking care of 3 vehicles... that means mileage gets divided in 3 way.. so less miles/km per vehicles.. = not enough distance for the typical time frame..

but .. oldhp.. has a good point...

49.gif

How many miles on it? And what are your driving conditions?
smile.gif

Like others said, it's an algorithm, but it knows what parameters would cause moisture, such as never getting the engine fully warmed up. It probably takes into account rpm, idle time, coolant temp, oil temp, ambient temp, etc.

These systems say to change the oil after a year if the change oil light doesn't come on by then.

Does Chrysler say to change it at a certain point? For example, Honda uses 15% as their suggested time for service. I'd feel confident going to 10-20%, but these OLM systems usually come with a light to tell you it's time for service, so I'd go by that. (Honda will have such a light come on at 15%)

Originally Posted by Mark72
....would any of you just keep on driving till it gets closer to 20 or 20%....?
Did you read the owners manual ? It will tell you "Oil change due" when the time comes.

Yes I would run it until the OLM says 20%. Those systems are usually pretty conservative, to allow for the owners who take them down to zero or near zero, and then forget to have the service done on time... so they may be "below zero." Also, check the owner's manual, usually there are two service schedules: normal service and severe service. Figure out which one you are and use that information to guide your decision.

Don't trust it. At all. Go by mileage.

My 2018 Explorer XLT had its first oil changed at 6000 miles or so, reset the OLM, etc... and basically parked it for the summer. When I went to drive it in the winter, the OLM said it had 0% oil life.

My 2014 Taurus SHO's OLM told me to change the first oil change at almost 10k miles. Then it hovered around 7500-8000 miles. Still way too long for a GTDI engine.

What's the mileage on the oil? Me being me, I'd forgo the "oil is cheap" train of though, although completely valid, I like to see cold hard facts. I'd pull a sample when you would normally change it in the spring and send it in. If it makes you warm and fuzzy, or you don't have the tools to do so, change the oil at the same time. With those results, next year at this time you can be confident that the winter was/wasn't that hard on the oil and I do/don't need to change it in the spring with over 50% life left on the OLM. Time has no effect on the oil IMHO, however personally I wouldn't go over a year.

With a good quality full synthetic oil and premium filter, I'd have no problems taking the OLM right to 0%. Back it up with a couple of UOA'S while doing so and maybe one every year or two to make sure nothing is changing in the health of the engine.

Alternatively, you could short change the winter OCI and leg out the summer OCI'S. That would be a pretty safe bet as well.

Sure it's cheaper to just change it, but I like to know for sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back