Oil Life Monitor on 2014 Chevy Impala

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GM4LIFE
I usually go by mileage more than the OLM percentage indicator. I did my first oil change at 1.754 miles and the second one at 5,221 miles. I plan on going no more than 4K miles between oil changes. It's cheap insurance and always ensures I have fresh clean oil and a new oil filter.

But alotta guys will tell you that you don't need fresh oil in your engine all the time and that varnish is not harmful.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I usually go by mileage more than the OLM percentage indicator. I did my first oil change at 1.754 miles and the second one at 5,221 miles. I plan on going no more than 4K miles between oil changes. It's cheap insurance and always ensures I have fresh clean oil and a new oil filter.

But alotta guys will tell you that you don't need fresh oil in your engine all the time and that varnish is not harmful.

I know, I know...I am wasting oil and changing it out too early. If you saw what Mobil 1 looked like after 3,500 miles in my engine, it will really surprise you. I know color of the oil doesn't really tell you anything, but it was blacker than tar and smelled really bad. I am glad I got it out when I did and put in fresh Mobil 1. I just ordered a bunch of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to see if my results are any better with that over Mobil 1. I can always go back to Mobil 1.

My 2 cents - is to go half manufacturer intervals for 1st oil change, then go on manufacturer recommendations for 2nd oil change , and then continue with manufacturer recommendations.

Last edited:
OP, you clearly have an obsessive compulsive issue that's much more severe then the rest of us! You admit your logic is flawed and incorrect but you carry on with your wasteful habits anyways!
smile.gif

I know, I know...I am wasting oil and changing it out too early. If you saw what Mobil 1 looked like after 3,500 miles in my engine, it will really surprise you. I know color of the oil doesn't really tell you anything, but it was blacker than tar and smelled really bad. I am glad I got it out when I did and put in fresh Mobil 1. I just ordered a bunch of Pennzoil Ultra Platinum to see if my results are any better with that over Mobil 1. I can always go back to Mobil 1.

GM4LIFE,

I changed the oil and filter in my 2014 Sierra 1500 for the first time this past Saturday. Had 5204 miles on the oil (OLM was at 30%). I, like you, noticed a strange smell that I have never had with used oil from any OCI from any vehicle before. Is this smell because of gas and the DI engine? Just thought it was odd.

If it were me spending that much on a new car, I would just change the oil/filter now and you won't have to keep second guessing yourself on leaving it in. Everything starts new now after what, a $30 oil change for peace of mind?. Go by whatever is recommended thereafter.

On a side note, as much as I want to like newer technology, having older designed cars makes me appreciate them more. Both my "00 Impala and "00 Silverado use 1/2 qt oil during an average 5k OCI and the oil isn't bad looking or smelling of gas. These new DI engines give more power, but maybe more headaches down the road as the miles add up. Considering I try to squeeze 300+K out of each vehicle I own, these newer cars might have hiding gremlins only time will tell. Alot of people I know don't care because the car gets traded/sold after 4-5 years anyway.

I do however think the new Impalas look good, although I really don't see that many around.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048

GM4LIFE,

I changed the oil and filter in my 2014 Sierra 1500 for the first time this past Saturday. Had 5204 miles on the oil (OLM was at 30%). I, like you, noticed a strange smell that I have never had with used oil from any OCI from any vehicle before. Is this smell because of gas and the DI engine? Just thought it was odd.

My CTS-V does not have a DI engine. My 2015 Escalade has the 6.2L DI engine, but we are only at 2,500 miles on it so I won't be changing the oil just yet on the Escalade. At 2,500 miles, the Escalade OLM is currently at 68% oil life remaining. I will see if the dealer will change the oil at around 5,000 miles. Who knows if they will or not. I believe Cadillac's premium maintenance program covers oil changes at the 20% or below oil life remaining. When you changed your oil, what did you use? Factory fill oil or something better? I believe GMC offers 2 years or 24K miles of maintenance included, so if your dealer changed the oil, I know what they used.

My CTS-V has the 6.2L pushrod supercharged LSA engine and when I noticed the color AND smell of the oil at the last oil change at 5,200 miles (engine's second oil change with Mobil 1), that's when I knew that oil changes were going to be more frequent for this engine. I push this engine hard, so I just want to take care of it and make sure it always has fresh oil in it. I know what most people are going to say, but for this engine, it really is cheap insurance.

Also, most have to consider that the GM LSA is a high performance engine and in my opinion, this engine is going to need more frequent oil changes over other 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines in cars that are driven normally or in non-severe duty. I live in Los Angeles and the traffic here will kill the oil inside an engine. To save a $12K engine, I will spend a little cash and make sure to change the oil every 3K miles if I have to. $50.00 worth of oil and filter to ensure this engine lasts is a no brainer to me. I have always been overly cautious when it comes to vehicle maintenance.

Last edited:
My CTS-V does not have a DI engine. My 2015 Escalade has the 6.2L DI engine, but we are only at 2,500 miles on it so I won't be changing the oil just yet on the Escalade. At 2,500 miles, the Escalade OLM is currently at 68% oil life remaining. I will see if the dealer will change the oil at around 5,000 miles. Who knows if they will or not. I believe Cadillac's premium maintenance program covers oil changes at the 20% or below oil life remaining. When you changed your oil, what did you use? Factory fill oil or something better? I believe GMC offers 2 years or 24K miles of maintenance included, so if your dealer changed the oil, I know what they used.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I replaced the factory fill with some Castrol Edge (black bottle) I got with the $6 off coupons at Walmart. Oil was already on roll back to $21.66 per jug, minus the coupon came to $17 plus change with tax. I had decided to let the closet GMC dealer do the first change for me so I could gauge their competence and build a little trust. Unfortunately, this dealer just had their GM License pulled. I found out that this small town dealer, with 69 years as GM dealer, was one of the ones destroyed by the government involvement in GM several years ago. No more new GM sales, or factory authorized maintenance/repair. They were able to remain in business because they filed a lawsuit and it had lingered in the courts until recently when they evidently lost the case. So I'll be doing the oil changes and tire rotations myself now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back