oil level sensor gummed up with stop leak

Hello,

I recently used (perhaps stupidly) the ATP AT-205 Re-Seal stop leak in my 2006 BMW E60 (140,000 mi). I just used 4 oz (half the bottle). I drove the car several hours that day and have been driving it consistently. I didn't let it "sit" in the engine.

Afterwards, I have been getting the yellow "Engine oil below minimum...refill with 1 quart" message almost exclusively, even though I know it is not down a full quart. There is no error fault for a faulty engine oil level sensor and I have tried several things to try to reset it.

The only time a change occurs is when, after driving, I remove the oil cap and let the vapors/moisture escape for a couple hours. Then the next day when driving I see the green oil level indicator accurately say I'm down only half a quart or whatever. But inevitably it goes back to the yellow warning until I let the moisture escape again.

My sense is the ATP has gunked up the sensor. This is particularly a problem because my car has no manual dipstick, just electronic. Now, the catch. I CANNOT approach this from under the car right now. I have no means to drain the oil and to remove the sensor for cleaning at the moment.

Can anyone suggest a way to approach this problem from above? Is there some kind of additive (got me in trouble in the first place, I know) that could help free up that sensor a bit?

Thanks!
Sparky Jonze

I doubt the ATP gummed up the sensor as 4 oz is an incredibly small amount compared to total volume of oil in the sump. Perhaps the ATP dislodged some gunk which is now floating around in the sump and causing the level sensor to misread?

As long as you're certain the oil level is normal then I would ignore it for a while and see if it goes away OR just change out the oil. Moisture will cause the sensor to act up. You could also replace the sensor when you get a chance. I would not be surprised if there was a revised part.

I doubt the ATP gummed up the sensor as 4 oz is an incredibly small amount compared to total volume of oil in the sump. Perhaps the ATP dislodged some gunk which is now floating around in the sump and causing the level sensor to misread?

As long as you're certain the oil level is normal then I would ignore it for a while and see if it goes away OR just change out the oil. Moisture will cause the sensor to act up. You could also replace the sensor when you get a chance. I would not be surprised if there was a revised part.
Thanks for checking in. It's been long enough that I know it isn't going away. Now I'm getting the critical red oil warning sometimes, instead of the yellow down a quart. Let me ask you this: is there any chance the oil level sensor is shot if I am not getting any such code? Would something as basic as Blue Driver pick up that code?

Thanks for checking in. It's been long enough that I know it isn't going away. Now I'm getting the critical red oil warning sometimes, instead of the yellow down a quart. Let me ask you this: is there any chance the oil level sensor is shot if I am not getting any such code? Would something as basic as Blue Driver pick up that code?
I don't know the answer but I've seen this guy recommended as a source.

Back