Oil level low when checked, possible cause? Pennzoil Platinum 6,200 miles since

2009 Jeep Patriot 2wd 2.4ltr 102k miles

Changed my oil 6200 miles ago on January 1st, 2019 and used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic and a Mobil 1 EP filter, I ran 5w-30 because I live in Texas and am a real estate photographer and drive all day every day with a lot of stops and go. I have no idea what was in this vehicle before as this was my first time doing an oil change because I had just purchased this vehicle "Used" in Nov of 2018 from Autonation. At the time of purchase there were no oil leaks, and neither when I changed the oil. I got around to checking the oil today and it was about an inch below the min line of the safe zone. I have no idea where the oil went. I thought since I was roughly still close to my factory oil change interval I would be ok especially since I used synthetic oil, but then I did some digging and read a review on the Pennzoil website and another person mentioned experiencing this same issue where he assumed it had evaporated and needed to add more oil before his scheduled oil change. My question is, does anybody know if there is any truth to this theory or if this is an ongoing issue with this particular oil? I'll admit I don't know much about oil other than everything that I have learned from this website and youtube videos. I understand that the detergents will dissipate, but will it also cause that much oil loss or could it have just been due to 10 months of driving? (this was a slow year for me). If that's the case it seems like I should switch to an oil that won't have this much loss and require adding oil between changes which equal money wasted. I wanted to try the PP HiMi ($37.88 with M1 filter) this time around but now I'm not so sure. Even the PUP 5qt and M1 filter at Walmart is $39 but not worth it if I'm going to have the same issue. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd wager that it didn't evaporate, it was most likely burned/used by your car (that, or it leaked out...)
Not necessarily a big deal; many engines burn oil. It would be good to check it frequently, though, and make sure it stays above "min."

Oil doesn't just magically disappear. It either gets burned in the combustion chamber or leaks out. A small amount can evaporate off but I don't suspect that's the source of your problem given the volume that's missing.

Have to ask, did you add enough oil to begin with when you last changed it? How much went in? Are there any leaks?

If there are no leaks, your engine likely has a drinking problem....

Last edited:
Originally Posted by TmanP
I'd wager that it didn't evaporate, it was most likely burned/used by your car (that, or it leaked out...)
Not necessarily a big deal; many engines burn oil. It would be good to check it frequently, though, and make sure it stays above "min."

Yeah I don't think that much could have evaporated either, not sure that's even the correct term but idk how else to describe the theory, I think that's just how I read it. By "used" you mean it could be blow-by? Not sure honestly what that is. Yeah I'll keep a better eye on it this time around.

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Oil doesn't just magically disappear. It either gets burned in the combustion chamber or leaks out. A small amount can evaporate off but I don't suspect that's the source of your problem given the volume that's missing.

Have to ask, did you add enough oil to begin with when you last changed it? How much went in? Are there any leaks?

Yes sir I made sure it was at the correct level, I'm lucky Jeep made a easy to read dipstick unlike my Honda. It was a 5qt jug, I can't remember exactly how much went in but i don't think there was any leftover cause I put the old oil immediately in the jug. No sir, no leaks, I've been lucky in that sense. Unlike my Honda that ran dry from a cracked oil pan.

Originally Posted by TomokiSakurai
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Yes sir I made sure it was at the correct level, I'm lucky Jeep made a easy to read dipstick unlike my Honda. It was a 5qt jug, I can't remember exactly how much went in but i don't think there was any leftover cause I put the old oil immediately in the jug. No sir, no leaks, I've been lucky in that sense. Unlike my Honda that ran dry from a cracked oil pan.

Than oils making it's way past the rings and/or valve stem seals and being burned in the combustion chamber. If that's the case, and by all indications it seems to be, there are some things you could try to mitigate this like doing an engine flush or piston soak to try and free up the rings, or using a HiMi oil to soften up the stem seals if that's the cause (no real way to know unless you do a tear down). Or just keep it topped off checking it daily, with a cheap dino and motor on...

Last edited:
I agree with the others - your engine is consuming oil. The rule of thumb is usually 1 qt to a 1000 miles is considered "acceptable" An inch down the stick from the fill mark probably equals about 2-3 qts low....so with the 6000 mile range on the oil it seems that you are consuming about 2-3 qts an oil change. That, to me, is high.

The first thing to do is try a different oil to rule out your theory and see if the motor responds more favorably to a different oil. My personal recommendation would be to try Valvoline Max Life High Mileage or Mobil 1 High Mileage. Your choice - heck even Supertech Synthetic High mileage would be ok. But switch oils and see what happens.

One inch below L (min) ... Isn't that almost 2.5 qt. low? That's bad for the engine!
How much oil did you add to get to the F (max) mark?

2009 and in TX ... I would try a 10W first. then maybe even dino and see what it does.
What does your owner's manual recommend?

I use PP 5W30 in a 2014 GDI engine and it does very well. Very little loss!
Also very "quiet" according to my wife! lol

[quote:TomokiSakurai]
Changed my oil 6200 miles ago on January 1st, 2019...

...I got around to checking the oil today and it was about an inch below the min line of the safe zone.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
You probably have some mild burnoff/blowby which is not unreasonable in the 10 months during your oil change interval(OCI).

You need to learn a vehicle/engine etc when you first buy it and check the fluids more often. I could be wrong and may have missed something in your post. However, even though you put in the correct amount of oil during your OCI, are you saying that you didn't check the oil level otherwise for 10 months?

Are you checking the oil level in the same location every time (ie, in a level garage or driveway), and by the same procedure (ie, 15~20 min after shutoff or with a cold engine)? The level can vary some if not, and can vary alot if done on ground that looks level, but isn't really that level.

Another question, is this your first time using Pennzoil Platinum? If so there are some engines that burn oil when you switch brands/viscosities/between types/etc for the first few oil changes. It may not burn much or any PP next time.

Last edited:
You'd better keep an eye on it...bummer that you just bought the car and now this is happening.

But it could be from a number of factors...rings, PCV system, valve seals, external leak. Have you looked underneath it? Could be something simple like the drain plug or oil filter...maybe a valve cover gasket.

Worst case scenario...you're going to have to add a couple quarts between oil changes.

As mentioned the oil was either consumed, leaked, or not filled properly from the prior oil change. I would confirm the oil level and monitor it. If the level drops replace the PCV valve and/or try a high mileage oil, that goes with the assumption there are no leaks. Some people have reported consumption issues changing brands, it could take a few OCIs for the brand change related consumption to subside. There are cases where the oil consumption doesn't subside and changing back to the prior brand/grade helps with the problem. Good luck.

OP, I believe that it was my review, on the Pennzoil website where I stated that I had more consumption with this natural gas-based oil than with others. Since then I have used Mobil1, Castrol Edge and currently Quaker State. In all these cases I have experienced less consumption than I did with Pennzoil Platinum. My car currently has 220,000 miles on it so I live with some consumption with no worries. With the Pennzoil Platinum I was adding about 1 1/2 qts over a 5000 mile OCI. With Mobil1, Castrol and Quaker State, it's been about 1/3 to 1/2 qt over the same 5000 OCI. If your car seems to drink a little too much of a particular oil, try another and see what happens. There are many great oils out there. In Pennzoil's defense, it worked fine in the wife's car with no consumption over a 4000 OCI. Of course, as the wife, she drives the newer, nicer car with a lot less mileage so it is comparing apples to oranges for sure.

09 wasn't a good year for cars imo. Every 09 I've owned used oil. Chrysler 4.0, Nissan 2.5, impala 3.9. That's
just my opinion though, but isn't that the year that the government put so much pressure on auto maker to up their fuel mileage? Maybe not exact science but it my theory.

Last edited:
Yes, you need to check your oil a lot more often. Rule of thumb for me is for the first three fuel fill ups after an oil change, to make sure there are no leaks. Then every 1000 miles. Easy to track, when it gets to 52k , 53k, 54k, just check it every time it rolls over another 1k on the odometer.

Try a 10W30 high mileage oil for the next oil change.

Originally Posted by bubbatime
Yes, you need to check your oil a lot more often. Rule of thumb for me is for the first three fuel fill ups after an oil change, to make sure there are no leaks. Then every 1000 miles. Easy to track, when it gets to 52k , 53k, 54k, just check it every time it rolls over another 1k on the odometer.

Try a 10W30 high mileage oil for the next oil change.

Amazon has Amazon Basics 10/30 FS HiMi on sale for just $14 and change...or Wally's has dino 10w30 HiMi for $13 and change. I'd probably try the cheaper dino first but using a 10w30 HiMi for an oci is a good idea to see if that slows up the consumption some.

Back