Oil level and valve cover gasket leak correlation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I got a new engine installed in my 1991 toyota celica 1.6l 4afe 3 months ago. Now my issue has been lately that when checking the oil it is consitently at half way between max and min. I have topped off oil and it always drops and settles at that halfway point. with that being said i have a valve cover leak due to the fact that i didnt get a new gasket when the swap was done. all other gaskets are brand new except the valve cover portion(tube seals cover gasket and grommets)

Im planning on replacing them this weekend though. It does show the tell tale signs of dripppage down the block my only question is with the leak why would it only settle at half it never drops below that mark? I was guessing its crankcase pressure related.

also do you guys recommend rtving sharp corners for the valve cover gasket my chilton manual has no mention of rtv for the valve cover just for the oil pan gasket.

Originally Posted By: Pete491

also do you guys recommend rtving sharp corners for the valve cover gasket my chilton manual has no mention of rtv for the valve cover just for the oil pan gasket.

YES. I know if I don't seal the corners on my Acura it does leak.

just a quick update did the valve cover this morning. little bits of old gasket were left on the mating surface which is why i had an accelerated leak. I used permatex ultra grey on the areas by the dist and camshaft and letting it cure as we speak. The valve cover was replaced and all other tube gaskets and upper grommets. My chiltons manual had no mention but the autozone repair guide online had the areas highlighted to dab the rtv on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back