oil leak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like your pan gasket across the front. Felpro sells a gasket for under $10 and its a one-piece cork gasket. My Toyota has that same engine and the oil pump is behind the crank pulley. You may also need the oil pump mounting gasket where it meets the block.

It probably has a bad front seal. Clean it all up with brake cleaner and check again after a few days.
How much oil does it leak? How long do you want to keep the old tercel? Try a HM engine oil.

Try some high mileage oil if you are not already using it. It has stopped most of my minor engine leaks on various cars including one front crank seal leak.

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to clean it again and see if it's the oil pump mounting gasket in addition to the oil pan gasket. It doesn't leak much and only have I run it. It's got 215K on it and I only put 2-3K on it a year.

Even if its only leaking a qt per OCI or possibly a whole year in this case $4 worth of oil is not worth doing anything about.

49.gif

Another vote for cleaning it and trying a HM oil. If the leak isn't that bad and the HM oil doesn't work I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless its making a mess of your driveway.

Originally Posted By: Rolomoto
Thanks for the responses. I'll have to clean it again and see if it's the oil pump mounting gasket in addition to the oil pan gasket. It doesn't leak much and only have I run it. It's got 215K on it and I only put 2-3K on it a year.

My car was wet on the front of the oil pan and in the past year started making an oil slick under the car. The seal on the oil pump drive and the crankshaft were "Baked" and brittle. The oil pump drive is put on with red loctite and a real pita to remove (required a little heat). Its an easy repair but it takes 3-4 hours to complete. The seal kit was around $14 (Fel-Pro TCS 45729).

The back side of the oil pump has a rubber o-ring, if it leaks, you are looking at removing the oil pan, pick-up pipe, an additional 2.5 hours.

If you remove the top cover from the timing belt, you will be able to see if there is oil inside the timing housing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back