Oil leak / Mercedes GLA250

Hey folks, will appreciate if you can look at it and maybe have an idea of what can be the source of the leak.
Went to my local self service shop to change oil and seeing this. The dealer did transmission service in Sep 2020 so it might be the tranny? Got an appt with them too, but wanted to hear opinions if any.
EA1E5458-D467-4F51-82E1-010E8347513D.jpeg

Am going top take a wild guess that it's the transfer case if it is 4 matic. Really dopant know what I'm looking at other than oil pan and drain plug.
Yeah sorry, I know it’s a vague question.
It is 4matic and from what I’ve been explained the transfer case is part of transmission in terms of sharing oil. This is the second time this tranny gives me issues, happy I’ve bought a manufacturer extended warranty but prob it’s time to let it go

It is 4matic and from what I’ve been explained the transfer case is part of transmission in terms of sharing oil. This is the second time this tranny gives me issues, happy I’ve bought a manufacturer extended warranty but prob it’s time to let it go
The reason why I excluded GL/GLS as a family car is that if the transfer case explodes, one needs to change transmission.

The reason why I excluded GL/GLS as a family car is that if the transfer case explodes, one needs to change transmission.
Yeah, I've dealt with transfer case issues on a different vehicle in past. Makes me want to switch from ICE car technology to EV

Oil found on the bottom of the car could have come from anywhere and run down.

Yeah, I've dealt with transfer case issues on a different vehicle in past. Makes me want to switch from ICE car technology to EV
Considering most mid size and up ICE vehicles are all AWD these days, I don't blame you.
Luckily I've been able to avoid ownership of an AWD vehicle for this main reason.

I didn’t know that they had changed the transfer cases to that. I wouldn’t want that setup.

Considering most mid size and up ICE vehicles are all AWD these days, I don't blame you.
Luckily I've been able to avoid ownership of an AWD vehicle for this main reason.
Outside of Subaru, Toyota, Honda and Audi, yes. In the case of a Honda or Toyota, the PTU is separate.

That’s what I would do too. Foot powder spray makes for an excellent “developer” for leaks. I wouldn’t use UV dye in a fragile Mercedes drivetrain.
I live in a condo and have no garage, this was a rented lift I had for 30 mins. Got an appt with the dealer this Tuesday, will keep you guys posted. Thankfully still have 10 months of the extended warranty

It certainly seems to have a green tint to it.

Only other green fluid i could think of is power steering fluid. Some of these fluids are dyed green.
The coolant is green in this car, but it feels like oil on fingers

Last edited:
It is somewhat green-ish, but I do not think that it is A/C as some have said. The camera is right below the A/C compressor on this picture, and no a/c lines besides possibly where it goes into the cabin would be leaking where it appears to be. If the a/c system was that far open, OP would have no a/c. It's not PS fluid because this vehicle as electronic power steering. The thermostat is on the back of the engine (which could be leaking), but this vehicle has either blue to pink coolant, therefore rules those out. Leak is too far away from the transmission (is to the right of the picture, off-screen). Even if the transmission fluid is green, there's no reason it would be in that area of the engine.

I think the "leak" is from previous oil changes, and no leak is actually present. Rather this is oil that dripped from when the canister filter when it is removed out of the rear of the engine (it is situated between the rear of the block and the firewall).

For anyone confused by the angle of this picture, the tire to the left is the right front tire.

Last edited:
The coolant is green in this car, but it feels like oil on fingers
New Mercedes(or ZF) ATF for that fact has more of a green/amber color as well when new.

Mercedes should be using pink G-40 or blue G-48 coolant from the factory, more than likely the former.

New Mercedes(or ZF) ATF for that fact has more of a green/amber color as well when new.

Mercedes should be using pink G-40 or blue G-48 coolant from the factory, more than likely the former.
Yeah that makes sense, and the atf is a few months old only. The coolant is blue, I’ve got confused with the green one in kia

Back