Oil Leak from Valve Cover Gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hav

Hi Guys,
I have 1999 V6 Toyota Camry. Recently my car started leaking oil from the Valve cover gasket, Badly from the rear bank. All this happened after I ran Auto Rx clean/rinse and am now on the maintenance dose. I also changed out the PCV valve. Before using auto rx there were no leaks. THe engine does run much smoother though and I am getting more mpg's after the ARX runs.
I am loosing half a qt in 3k miles. Before it will not even use a drop of oil between 3k changes. Is there a way to slow down/stop the leak without replacing the gasket for now?
Thanks

Small cost/short time/little effort. Change the gaskets and feel good about yourself. I have yet to find mechanic in a can after 50+ years of looking...so Still have my big roll away full of tools :)

Replace the gasket its very easy, can you take pictures with the valve cover removed, it would be nice to see the condition, isn't this a sludge motor?

Yes it is the sludge monster. That is why i never go beyong 3k with my oil changes with dino oil. Ohh and one more observation. I noticed that the area of the PCV hose and valve is also a bit wet.
I will take pictures when replacing the gasket. Just that I wanted to delay it a couple of months. I am strapped of cash and don't know how to work on a car. How much labor should a mechanic charge for the job?

The proper solution to your problem is to just replace the gasket. I would recommend using a factory toyota gasket as well. Note that you will usually need to apply RTV on the corners depending on the layout. Can't remember off the top of my head. Its great when ARX cures leaks, but its not a miracle worker unfortunately.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies guys. Looks like I'll get the gasket replaced after one more oil change. Hope everything stays well till then.

For the sludge prone 1999 V6 Toyota Camry, you should be using a full synthetic. Forget about AutoRx (in case you have not learned your lesson). If cost is an issue, Walmart SuperTech Full Synthetic is a very good oil.

Penny-Wise, Pound-Foolish.

Chances are the ARX cleaned out something and the leak started.

Maybe you could take pics while the valve cover is off?

As I have posted several times, I owned a 1998 Camry V6 for 11 years until a few months ago. Used Mobil 1 5W-30 since first oil change, and never had any leaks, never used any oil (that I could notice on the dipstick between OCI). Engine ran perfectly when I sold it. (A bottle of Techron once every few years in the gas tank didn't hurt, but never used any additive in crankcase).

This is a sludge prone engine, so using a full synthetic a no-brainier. Costs a lot less than changing gaskets, buying Auto-Rx, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back