Oil leak at pan gasket - maxlife to fix?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm walking by my sisters truck a few days ago. She had just pulled in the yard and the truck was still warm from the drive over. As I walked by, I noticed a burnt oil smell, (like when you spill oil on the manifold or exhaust pipe). I grab a piece of cardboard and slide underneath and sure enough, the oil pan gasket is leaking and has covered the bottom of the motor with oil which is also on the exhaust cross over pipe, (hence the smell). Starter motor is wet with oil as is the front of the transmission bell housing. Check the oil, she was almost a quart low and I changed the oil for her five weeks ago so it's leaking a quart every five weeks. She has run Mobile 1 in this truck since she's had it, (about three years now) and current fill is Mobile 1 10W30.

There is no way I can drop the pan without a major pain in the rear end. What I'm wondering is this - does Vavoline Maxlife oil for a high mileage engine help with stopping oil leaks? As it is a quart low, can she start adding Maxlife as a top off oil instead of Mobile 1?

Truck is a 2003 Chevy half ton with the 5.3 V-8 auto tranny with 170,000 on the clock. My father bought this truck new and had the oil changed every three thousand miles (regular dino oil at the dealership, part of the deal when he bought the truck). He then gave this truck to my sister with (I'm guessing) 120,000 to 130,000 and she has changed the oil every 6,000 miles ever since using Mobile 1.

What say you guys, do you think Maxlife will help?

Neither Maxlife, nor anything short of replacing the gasket, is going to stop that leak.

To imagine that it would...is wishful thinking.

If it was a very small leak at the front or rear main seal, a high-mileage oil might slow it down, but we're talking about an oil pan gasket here. It's not made of a material that can be swelled by an additive in an oil.

Bite the bullet and replace the gasket.

Originally Posted By: john_pifer
Neither Maxlife, nor anything short of replacing the gasket, is going to stop that leak.

To imagine that it would...is wishful thinking.

If it was a very small leak at the front or rear main seal, a high-mileage oil might slow it down, but we're talking about an oil pan gasket here. It's not made of a material that can be swelled by an additive in an oil.

Bite the bullet and replace the gasket.

+1
My old Sonata had a leaky pan gasket for years.(nothing huge, just enough to leave spots on my dad's driveway that honked him off.) always used vwb, up until i hit 75k, then switched to maxlife,"cuz that's what you're supposed to do!"(hadn't even heard of BITOG back then)
the maxlife neither did any thing to the pan leak, nor to alleviate the 1qt/1000mi it always burned off.
the only thing that took care of the pan leak, was having the gasket replaced.(with in 2 days the trans pan started leaking, but the tech @ the stealership, claimed "there's no way i could have done anything to that seal working on this one!" - less than 6 inches away...so i had to fork out additional $$ grr...)

Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Check the oil, she was almost a quart low and I changed the oil for her five weeks ago so it's leaking a quart every five weeks. She has run Mobile 1 in this truck since she's had it, (about three years now) and current fill is Mobile 1 10W30.

No surprise there, Mobil 1 is hard on seals. It's also hard on piston rings, valve guides, and bearings too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
Check the oil, she was almost a quart low and I changed the oil for her five weeks ago so it's leaking a quart every five weeks. She has run Mobile 1 in this truck since she's had it, (about three years now) and current fill is Mobile 1 10W30.

No surprise there, Mobil 1 is hard on seals. It's also hard on piston rings, valve guides, and bearings too.

Sure it isnt

If its leaking as bad as you say it is, you should drop the pan and replace the gasket.

Every leak looks like a pan leak cause the pan is the lowest point where the oil drips off the car. You may have seals leaking above the pan. Try adding the Maxlife. It ain't gonna hurt nuthin.

Like he said, Maxlife or since she's using Mobil 1, the Mobil 1 HM, won't hurt a thing and might help.

maybe hang a wrench on all the pan bolts to make sure they are good and snug too while your at it, then run maxlife of mobil 1 hm to see if it slows or stops the leak

Originally Posted By: afoulk
maybe hang a wrench on all the pan bolts to make sure they are good and snug too while your at it, then run maxlife of mobil 1 hm to see if it slows or stops the leak

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back