Oil leak at crankshaft seal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2004 Corolla mystery oil leak. 255000 Km / 159000 Miles. It had a slow oil leak getting on to the serpentine belt and spreading it all about. Most concerning is the alternator is oil sprayed by the belt. Changed out the Timing Chain Tensioner oil ring and that did not stop it. Changed out the Valve Cover Gasket and that did not stop it.
I spray washed the area for leak ID and it is very hard to detect the source.
It is finally dripping onto the garage floor a few drips a day.
I plan to remove the crankshaft pulley a replace the crankshaft seal.
Should I assume it could be the Timing Chain Cover Gasket and replace that too?
I have AllData access, the Haynes manual and BITOG. Not in that order of course.
The water pump has to come off to switch out the Timing Chain Gasket, I will replace the water pump if I remove it.
January is our coldest month so this is planned for a February mild spell.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Very likely that the timing chain cover is leaking too. My 2003 matrix had the same symptoms as your corolla and I changed out everything you described, but the major leak was from the TC cover. It's kind of a pain because of the power steering pump, but I'm happy I fixed it. No more leaks and new seals everywhere. 170k miles when I did all this work.

I did use dye to find the leaks though and made sure I found the source. I even replaced the rear main seal when I did the clutch at 175k.

My Rav4 has a leak coming from the timing chain cover. Looks like a major PITA to change that out. I just add a little oil every month.

I changed out the timing chain tensioner on my Corolla. Even though you can't see the part, it's not too difficult to feel it and change it out.

Just got back from the parts department at the dealer. He says the Timing Chain Cover does not use a gasket, it is a silicone bead. I guess I,ll get the Permatex stuff.

I did the last oil change with synthetic 5W30 instead of dino and the leak got worse. Simpsons moment. I don't drink Duff beer though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Leo99
My Rav4 has a leak coming from the timing chain cover. Looks like a major PITA to change that out. I just add a little oil every month.

I changed out the timing chain tensioner on my Corolla. Even though you can't see the part, it's not too difficult to feel it and change it out.

This was sort of fun working just by feel but it went as planned.
The leak is from elsewhere. Thanks Leo

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/Toyot...-Guide-008.html

If you are sure its oil leak, def timing chain tensioner part that needs replacing. Mine was leaking prior to 100k kms so im surprised you are only seeing this now.Well known issue on Corollas. Didnt take dealer long to replace the part.

See link above

This was the first thing I changed as it is common on these engines. It was leaking slightly but a greater leak is elsewhere.
Thanks Rolla.

Thanks Xrs, lots of parts coming off, I'll give the alternator a cleaning then. I read to unbolt the PS and tie it out of the way. Thanks for the heads up.

Last edited:
As mine is at 212k kms now..please share with me the source/cause of leak when you find out..pm me if you dont mind
smile.gif

I'm about to remove the crankshaft pulley bolt on the 2004 Corolla with automatic transmission. I don't have the SST that holds the pulley from rotating when you remove the bolt with a hand torque bar.
Will my 7.5 Amp Mastercraft Electric Impact remove the bolt without rotating the pulley?
It is rated for 240 foot pounds. The crankshaft bolt is torqued to 102 foot lbs.

Would rotating the pulley counter clockwise damage the engine?

Last edited:
I read in the manual that the engine shouldn't be rotated counter clockwise, at least not a lot. If it moves less than a full rotation you should be fine though. Not sure I'd want to try though. You may want to find a way to keep it still.

I was able to shove a screwdriver in the flywheel teeth to stop it from moving. I'm not sure how an auto would work.

Xrs2zz,

I wonder about spinning an engine backwards? I have no clue what harm it could do since it is timing via the chain, gears, or belt- but there IS probably some reason I cannot think of nor understand.

You know what, I'm wrong. I was thinking without the chain tensioner installed. That's why I remembered that. I replaced the tensioner and it said not to rotate the engine while the tensioner was not installed. My bad.

Thanks guys, I read that about the tensioner in the manual so it comes off after.
The impact got it off in about 4 seconds and the pulley turned back only about 10 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back