Oil is NOT thinner when cold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes 10w30 oil gets thicker when cold, but it's viscocity when compared to straight 30 (at the same temp) weight is still thinner. It's all relative.

-T

Well, it stands for a 30 weight oil that meets 5w cold specs. I think we're splitting really fine distinctions that are completely obvious between someones intent and how some can take exception to anything if they choose to stretch it for the sake of superiority needs. It's the "needs" (as in "needy") that need the addressing in the normal convention of social decorum, IMHO.

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Well, it stands for a 30 weight oil that meets 5w cold specs.

A 5w30 is NOT a 30wt that meets 5w cold specs, nor is it a 5w that meets 30wt hot specs. It is simply an oil that meets the specs for 30wt at 100C and the cold cranking and cold pumping specs for a 5w at -30C.

(visions of Harrison Ford as Dekert in Blade Runner as he told Rachael that she was a replicant and she was in denial)

Okay ..you're right! Bad joke ..no really ..bad joke. Go home..no really.

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Much confusion on this thread.

Only on the part of those who are confused.
grin.gif

so can it be concluded that an xxwyy oil has the cold flow properties of an xx weight oil and then performs like a yy weight oil?

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:
so can it be concluded that an xxwyy oil has the cold flow properties of an xx weight oil and then performs like a yy weight oil?

Nope, it means this.

quote:

Originally posted by Blue99:
After following the link to the Neon forum, I see the Neon guys are linking back this Bitog thread.
grin.gif

So here's my definition:

A multi-viscosity oil is less thick than the equivalent straight grade at very cold temperatures.

The W designation in a multi-viscosity oil grade stands for Winter and is the cold temp flow measured in centipoise, at a specific sub-zero temperature.

A 0W is 6200 max cP at -35C
5W is 6600 max cP at -30C
10W is 7000 max cP at -25C

A SAE "10 weight" or "5 weight" category does not exist.

The statement "A 5W-30 flows like a 5W oil at -30C(-22F)" is true since both 5W-30 and 5W have the same 6600 max cP @ -30C limit. Do not read 5W as a 5 weight oil - it is 5 "dub ya" and indicates a cold temp flow limit.

The SAE J300 Viscosity Chart

This is why I don't understand when people judge whether or not to use an oil based on its "point spread." As in "Oh, there's a 30 point spread in that 10W40, it's gonna do nothing but shear down." I realize the thing about VII's but actually quantifying it using two different measurements? Does that make sense?
dunno.gif
pat.gif
confused.gif

quote:

(visions of Harrison Ford as Dekert in Blade Runner as he told Rachael that she was a replicant and she was in denial)

Okay ..you're right! Bad joke ..no really ..bad joke. Go home..no really.

Seriously, anyone questioning even your knowledge needs a reality check.

You know more than 99% of us here.

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:

quote:

Originally posted by G-Man II:

quote:

Originally posted by Auto-Union:
Much confusion on this thread.

Only on the part of those who are confused.
grin.gif

And that would be you.

On many things, yes; on the topic of this thread, no.

-

When you question the information from Gary Allen, that is where you lost it.
nono.gif

You have brought no proof of your side of the debate.

Just your opinion that you are too pig-headed to back down from.

Sad really....... to bad.

now im confused.

while it may not be technically right, its the main jist of it, right?

quote:

Originally posted by racer12306:

(quoted for reference)

Well, BLT, G-man has the goods on oil characteristics and properties....probably hands down. The only thing that is in question is whether there is need for semantics and fine line proper nomenclature when you know darn well what someone is talking about or referring to. It just stiffles the discussion for no good reason. If you can't step down and talk to the slimes like a civil peer ..stay in your lofty perch of some self appointed heirarchy and stay out of it.

Turds by any other name still smell the same
dunno.gif

quote:

Well, BLT, G-man has the goods on oil characteristics and properties....probably hands down. The only thing that is in question is whether there is need for semantics and fine line proper nomenclature when you know darn well what someone is talking about or referring to. It just stiffles the discussion for no good reason. If you can't step down and talk to the slimes like a civil peer ..stay in your lofty perch of some self appointed heirarchy and stay out of it.

Turds by any other name still smell the same
dunno.gif

cheers.gif
well put, i hope im not coming off as one on a "self appointed heirarchy"

Yes, racer12306, you are correct.

In your example xxWyy would have to meet the xxW cold temp spec at whatever temp xxW is measured at.

It would also have to meet the 100C(210F) viscosity grade requirement for a yy weight oil.

BTW, I didn't notice anyone's explanation being too far off the mark, as some mentioned, it was just semantics.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by BlazerLT:
When you question the information from Gary Allen, that is where you lost it.
nono.gif

Where did I question Gary's information?
confused.gif

I think I've done nothing in this thread but give a totally straight forward and accurate explanation of the viscosity characteristics of a multi-grade oil.

Gary, I strive for accuracy in everything I do, and for those that come here to learn something it does them no good for any of us to perpetuate inaccuracies. It is simply not accurate to think of a 5w30 oil as a 30wt oil that has the cold temp properties of a 5w oil. To someone who has not grapled with the "big picture" this leads them to believe that a 5w30 is indeed a straight 30wt that has somehow been doctored up to behave like a 5w in cold weather. I know you know that is not the case.

The following is the explanation of the 10W-30 multi-viscosity designation by Wayne Scraba, an auto care expert whose work is widely quoted.

His explanation has some of the same semantics problems that we have been debating here, today.
smile.gif

http://www.valvoline.com/carcare/articleviewer.asp?pg=ccr20040601ov&section=hm

Multigrades
Multigrade oils typically begin as base oils, such as 10W. Then viscosity-index modifiers (polymers) are added in an effort to stabilize the viscosity. This allows a 10W40 oil to flow like a 10W at cold temperatures and a 40W at higher temperatures.

In other words, multigrade oils are formulated to pass viscosity tests across a range of weights. For example, 10W30 meets the requirements for 10-weight at cold temperatures and 30-weight at high temps.

End-of-Quote

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back